[comp.lang.modula2] Using Modula-2 under MS Windows

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot) (02/03/88)

In article <INFO-M2%88020117453023@DB0TUI11>, SINBV@NOBERGEN.BITNET ("Bjoern Asle VALDE  5 21 26 98", +47) writes:
> Does any1 out there know if it is possible to use any PC-based M2
> compilers (Stony Brook?) when working under windows ? Or rather:
> has anybody any experience with using M2 to develop an substantial
> application running under MicroSoft (tm) Windows (tm) *without*
> using the Ms C compiler and the Ms Windows Developers Library - system ?
>
> Cheers; Bjoern Asle.

Yes, it is possible.  I have an 11,000 application for the PC written
(originally) for Logitech, however ported over to Stony Brook.  I was
one of the Beta-testers for Stony Brook Modula-2 and three hours after
I received my beta test copy, I was hooked!

The application was a little too large for me to want to place it
completely under Windows, so I shrunk it to about 2500 lines and used
THAT under windows.  Originally there were some bugs (like it refused
to clean up the screen correctly), however they've been fixed (or so
I've been told by the developer -- I haven't tried it again).

Eventually, I decided to keep my old interface instead of the MSW
version, which is why I haven't tried it since.  I doubt I'll go back
to that version -- it really was only a play toy.

The 11,000 application is now nicely running on my PC, having been
recompiled in less than a quarter of the time Logitech took, and an
amazing 30k smaller (even smaller than Logitech 2/86 v3.0).  Needless
to say, I'm very much a fan of Stony Brook...

Absolute vital statistics (Logitech vs Stony Brook) are available if
there is enough interest.  I won't bother getting them if there isn't
a large enough crowd.

BTW, is anyone else out there using Stony Brook??

bruce bergman
--
allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
ihnp4!   \      crash!--\         (619) 457-2700 x123
           >--sdcsvax!---->--telesoft!bruceb (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
scgvaxd!  /              /
ucbvax!  /     log-hb!--/         5959 Cornerstone Court West
uunet!  /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891
Any opinions are my own.  Make Wildfire a Thing of the Past.

BOTCHAIR@UOGUELPH.BITNET (Alex Bewley) (02/07/88)

  About Stony Brook...

     What are its advantages over LogiTech?  I would like some statistics,
please...

       Alex