[comp.lang.modula2] MODULA2 Users Group

fullmer@dover.uucp (Glen Fullmer) (02/06/88)

I read somewhere (and I have no Idea where) that Tom Demarco was
President/Chairman of a Modula2 users group (of some type).

Questions:

Did anyone else read this same information somewhere?
Is there a Modula2 users group of national scope?

--
  _____     _  "Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal."              Ayn Rand
 {____/    //  "Without pricklies, you can't have softies!"  Allan Watts

chrisj@cup.portal.com (02/09/88)

In 125@dover.uucp, fullmer@dover.uucp (Glen Fullmer) writes:
>I read somewhere (and I have no Idea where) that Tom Demarco was
>President/Chairman of a Modula2 users group (of some type).
>Did anyone else read this same information somewhere?
>Is there a Modula2 users group of national scope?

Tom DeMarco is a member of the board (not president) of the Modula-2 Users'
Association (MODUS).  Membership is on an "academic year" basis: if you join
now, your membership starts with issue 8 of the MODUS Quarterly, which went
out last fall.  The extra $10 outside North America covers the cost of sending
the Quarterly by air mail.

Christopher T. Jewell  |  chrisj@cup.portal.com
                       |  ucbvax!sun!cup.portal.com!chrisj

(I empty the Palo Alto P.O. box, maintain the mailing list, etc.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Cut Here - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                        Modula-2 Users' Association
                          MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION

Name:       ________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:________________________________________________________________

Address:    ________________________________________________________________

Address:    ________________________________________________________________

State:      ________________  Postal Code: ____________  Country ___________

Phone: (____) ___ - ________ Electronic Addr: ______________________________

Option:     ___  Do NOT print my phone number on any rosters

    or:     ___  Print ONLY my name and country on any rosters

    or:     ___  Do NOT releast my nome on mailing lists

            Application as New Member ____   or Renewal ____

Implementation(s) used: _____________________________________________________

Membership fee per year (20 USD or 45 SFr)
Members of the US group who are outside North America, add $10.00

In North or South America,              Elsewhere, please send check or
please send check or money              bank transfer (in Swiss Francs)
order (drawn in US dollars)             payable to Modula-2 Users'
payable to Modula-2 Users's             Association at:
Association at:

Modula-2 User's Association             Aline Sigrist
P.O. Box 51778                          MODUS Secretary
Palo Alto, CA, 94303                    ERDIS SA
United States of America                CH-1800 Vevey 2
                                        Switzerland

MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET (Mike Feldman) (02/14/88)

Regarding the MODUS announcement and application form -

I hate to flame publicly, but I think it's time to do so.
<flame on>

I sent my check to Modus in August 1987. It was deposited some time
in September. I have yet to receive _anything_ from this group. Until
someone from Modus makes a public statement about how long it takes to
get anything going with them, I would be _very_ hesitant about signing
up. It looks like a good group but their administration seems rather
sluggish to say the least. I realize it's a volunteer group but I think
there is some obligation to do more than deposit checks.

<flame off>

Michael Feldman, Professor
Dept. of EE&CS
The George Washington University
Washington, DC  20052
MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET

chrisj@cup.portal.com (02/25/88)

MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET (Mike Feldman) in message
<INFO-M2%88021507413861@UCF1VM> has some hard words to say about the
difficulty of getting service from MODUS.  Since I'm the current
adminstrator of the U.S. branch, I'd better begin by admitting that his
complaints are justified.  There were some problems with getting the
membership database moved to my machine when I took over, etc.  I still
haven't gotten around to bringing up the label printing program.

Rather than feed the net a line of excuses, I'll promise to report back
here via another posting when I've gotten the backlog of stuff taken care
of, which I hope will be within a couple of weeks.

Christopher Jewell  |  chrisj@cup.portal.com  |  sun!cup.portal.com!chrisj