[comp.lang.modula2] Portable Modula-2 compilers

wytze@gouldnl.UUCP (Wytze van der Raay) (06/03/88)

Could someone provide me with an overview of Modula-2 compilers running
on UNIX systems (BSD4.[23] or System V) which are portable - in the sense
that they can be retargeted for a different machine in say less than
4 months? For each candidate, I am interested in the origin of the compiler
and the environments to which it has been successfully ported.

Please reply by email to ...!mcvax!gouldnl!wytze
--
| Wytze van der Raay                      ...!mcvax!gouldnl!wytze |
| Gould European Unix Support Centre             wytze@gouldnl.nl |

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (06/11/88)

In article <595@gouldnl.UUCP> wytze@gouldnl.UUCP (Wytze van der Raay) writes:

>Could someone provide me with an overview of Modula-2 compilers running
>on UNIX systems (BSD4.[23] or System V) which are portable - in the sense
>that they can be retargeted for a different machine in say less than
>4 months? For each candidate, I am interested in the origin of the compiler

>and the environments to which it has been successfully ported.
The following is an extract from our actual newsletter and answers the
question.

Modula-2 on UNIX

The last product to be announced in this newsletter is our Modula-2
compiler for UNIX/68000 computers. First and foremost, though, we
would like to mention the implementation for HP 9000/300
workstations. Our sister company, H.-J. Miele Datentechnik, has
collaborated with Hewlett Packard in porting a Modula-2 compiler
onto the HP family of minicomputers. The result has turned out to
be extremely satisfactory. A number of beta test groups have been
working with the compiler since the start of this year and have
already done a considerable amount of development on it. The
compiler, to which we possess worldwide marketing rights, has been
on sale since 1st April. Obviously, many people have been waiting
for a compiler such as this one. Quite a few copies have already
been sold without a great deal of advertising, and our brochure has
been widely distributed seemingly under its own steam.

A particularly pleasing feature of this system is its good
interfacing with the operating system - in other words, it has a
number of comprehensive libraries and extensive debugger support.
Its interface to other languages such as C makes working with the
compiler enjoyable and productive right from the very beginning.

The porting onto other UNIX computers such as Convergent
Technologies, NCR Tower, Unisys and other compatible computers was
performed almost by the way. This only serves to demonstrate
Modula-2's high degree of portability (after all, this Modula-2
compiler was itself written in Modula-2). There is even a version
of the compiler for the UNIX-related OS-9 operating system and
another version for 68000 and 68020 processors.

We will be pleased to send you more detailed information about
these compilers. As you can see, we've almost reached our goal of
making Modula-2 available for all mainstream computers!

Be patient if you don't get the information brochure from ITC, Houston
within 2-3 days. A new big package is on the way from Europe to USA. The
former brochures have been given away before the new came from the
printer.

   .. ....          Albert Meier        Tel.  +41/1/700 30 37
  ..   ....         A+L AG, Im Spaeten 23, CH-8906 Bonstetten
..       .......    E-Mail     aplusl@komsys.ifi.ethz.ch.UUCP