[comp.lang.modula2] Case Sensitivity

HPA111@DE0HRZ1A.BITNET (Michael Drechsler) (07/08/88)

Hi,

what's the trick/clue/gag behind case sensitivity in M2? No one could
ever tell me.

Thanx, Mike

dick@ccb.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (07/09/88)

In article <INFO-M2%88070811432229@DB0TUI11> Info-Modula2 Distribution List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>what's the trick/clue/gag behind case sensitivity in M2? No one could
>ever tell me.

When I asked Niklaus Wirth about it, he said he has always preferred
case sensitivity.  My sense is that, like me, he prefers that the
writer rather than the reader should suffer the details.  He and I
both feel that creating names which differ in case alone is a bad
idea, since it is potentially confusing to the reader.  If, as well,
the compiler enforces case matching, then the reader can operate on
the simple rule that if it looks different, it is different.

In the bad old days, a single case was all the CDC would take, or
at least all that you could conveniently _punch_ on _cards_.

Dick

Dick Karpinski  Manager of Minicomputer Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick        (415) 476-4529 (11-7)
BITNET:  dick@ucsfcca or dick@ucsfvm           Compuserve: 70215,1277
USPS:  U-76 UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0704   Telemail: RKarpinski
Domain: dick@cca.ucsf.edu  Home (415) 658-6803  Ans 658-3797