[comp.lang.modula2] modula-2's for the Sun 3

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) (06/30/88)

I have not subscribed to this group before, so I have missed any previous
discussion of this, I am sure, much-asked question.

What is the best m2 compiler for the Sun 3? It must:
	- generate native code
	- be stable (not being beta-tested on paying customers)
	- be good at supporting low-level gunge (inc. cross-calling to
		assembler and C)
	- have good and well-documented libraries
	- specify its semantics a LOT better than Wirth's manuals do.

Price is not particularly important, quality IS. The last ounce of efficiency
in code generation is nowhere near as important as the absence of semantic
boobytraps.

Does this thing exist?

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (07/04/88)

In article <1442@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) writes:
>I have not subscribed to this group before, so I have missed any previous
>discussion of this, I am sure, much-asked question.
>
>What is the best m2 compiler for the Sun 3? It must:
>	- generate native code
>	- be stable (not being beta-tested on paying customers)
>	- be good at supporting low-level gunge (inc. cross-calling to
>		assembler and C)

	- have good and well-documented libraries

Yes such a compiler exists. It is called MOCKA and was developed by
Franz Engelmann at GMD. GMD started marketing at a very low level and
sold the whole know-how (including Franz Engelmann, who is member of the
ISO Modula-2 working group) to another company in Germany.

These people seem not to like Modula-2, it's a pity! We tried to sell
this compiler but we usually didn't get replies on our letters and after
meetings not before the third reminder. It seems that this excellent
compiler is lost for the market.

Compared to the Sun M2 compiler from Sun themselves MOCKA is/was about
3-4 times faster compiling and about 30% in execution time. The
comparison was made in December 1987. The look and feel is also much
better. Let's hope that MOCKA still will come.

We have no comparison with the Oregon Sun M2 compiler, but it looks like
we would have to go with this compiler only, at least after a nice
meeting with Randy Bush last Friday night in Zurich.

Kind regards

    .....           Albert Meier        Tel.  +41/1/700 30 37
   .. ....          A+L AG, Im Spaeten 23, CH-8906 Bonstetten
  ..   ....
 .......A+L.        E-Mail          aplusl@ifi.ethz.(ch/UUCP)
..       .......                 ...mcvax!cernvax!ethz!aplusl

landwehr@gmdka.UUCP (Rudolf Landwehr) (07/20/88)

In article <494@ethz.UUCP>, aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) writes:
> In article <1442@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) writes:
> >What is the best m2 compiler for the Sun 3? It must:
>
> Yes such a compiler exists. It is called MOCKA and was developed by
>                                     ... It seems that this excellent
> compiler is lost for the market.

Some remarks on this:

- The MOCKA system (MOdula Compiler KArlsruhe) was developed at
  GMD Karlsruhe by Friedrich Wilhelm Schroeer, Dirk Schwarz and
  Franz Engelmann. GMD is a German national research center on computer
  science.

- The German company that is (or it seems should be) selling
  the MOCKA system is

    2i Industrial Informatics GmbH
    Haierweg 20e
    D-7800 Freiburg i.Br.

    Phone: (49) 761-42257

- GMD itself is not able to provide customer support and service.
  Scientific institutions can obtain an unsupported version of the
  MOCKA system directly from GMD. For details contact

     schroeer@karlsruhe.gmd.dbp.de    or
     schroeer@gmdka.uucp

Rudolf Landwehr
GMD Karlsruhe

michael@pbinfo.uucp (Michael Schmidt) (07/21/88)

Yet another vote.

I worked with a very early release of this compiler and really
enjoyed it. Fast and good!

Try to get it.
--
    Michael Schmidt, Universitaet-GH Paderborn, FB 17, Warburger Str.100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (07/25/88)

We got now (finally) a pack of information stuff from the MOCKA people.
Whom shall we send some? (per paper mail)