[comp.lang.modula2] Is there a Free/Public Domain Modula 2 on UNIX ?

baur@spp2.UUCP (Steven L. Baur) (09/08/88)

Is there a public-domain or free Modula 2 for UNIX (particularly system V)?
If so,  how & where can it be obtained from?
If not, is there a Modula 2 (any price) that runs on UNIXPC?

thanks.

steve  ucbvax!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!baur

harv@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Harvard Townsend) (09/09/88)

In article <1406@spp2.UUCP> baur@spp2.UUCP (Steven L. Baur) writes:
>Is there a public-domain or free Modula 2 for UNIX (particularly system V)?
>If so,  how & where can it be obtained from?

There is a slow, buggy, but usable Modula-2 compiler that runs on the AT&T
3B2s with SysV Unix.  It is public domain, but it has been a problem
getting the source for the parser/code generator.  The distribution I
received does have the source for the libraries, though.

>If not, is there a Modula 2 (any price) that runs on UNIXPC?

I ported a Modula-2 compiler to the Unix PCs that we are now using in
our undergraduate courses.  It generates COFF output that is linked by
good ol' "ld".  The binary of the compiler is public domain, as is the
source for the libraries.  It is a one-pass compiler based on the ETH
MC68K one-pass compiler.  Contact me if you are interested in either one.

--
Harvard Townsend, Systems Manager
CIS Dept., Kansas State University