[comp.lang.modula2] Cambridge Modula-2/Mod-2 for Suns?

david@pyr.gatech.EDU (Don Deal) (09/27/88)

  Hi.  A couple of years ago, we purchased a mod2 compiler
  from Cambridge University.  Since then, the interest in
  mod2 has subsided, and the compiler hasn't really been
  used for over a year.  Since then, we have upgraded our
  operating system (from 4.2BSD to 4.3BSD+NFS).  The compiler
  isn't working now.  Is anyone using the Cambridge Modula-2
  compiler?  I've tried calling England a couple of times,
  but it seems that no one at Cambridge's Computer Lab has
  ever heard of Modula-2.

  Also, we have recently purchased a group of Suns.  Has
  anyone had any experience with Modula-2 compilers for
  Suns?  I've got info on both Sun's and Oregon's compilers,
  but would like a couple more for comparison.  One with
  a HUGE educational discount would be real nice! :-)

 Thanks!
  David Brown

David Brown
Armstrong State College, Savannah, Georgia
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!david
ARPA: david@pyr.gatech.edu

sdb@stl.stc.co.uk (Simon Bruekheimer) (09/29/88)

In article <6453@pyr.gatech.EDU> david@pyr.gatech.edu (David Brown) writes:

>  Hi.  A couple of years ago, we purchased a mod2 compiler
>  from Cambridge University...

  Cambridge University have appointed a company called Qudos to
  distribute the Modula-2 compiler.  This is unchanged from the
  original Cambridge distribution.  Qudos do not wish to support the
  product because of the poor level of documentation included in the
  package and therefore distribute the full sources of the compiler
  and all utilities.  We recently purchased a copy to evaluate its
  performance and design, and found little difficulty in running it on
  a VAX/4.2BSD combination.  Qudos themselves use it in house on
  4.3BSD systems with no difficulty.  I have found them most helpful
  in providing answers to short questions regarding installation
  issues which they can answer from their own experience, although I
  would not expect them to isolate nor fix bugs on my behalf.  The
  author, Peter Robinson, is no longer at Cambridge University, so I
  don't think you will be able to get any help from them anymore.

  If you could be more specific about the nature of your problem,
  perhaps I may be able to help.  I would be most interested if you
  would keep me informed of any corrections or enhancements you make
  in connection with this compiler, as it would be helpful in my own
  work.

  Address: Qudos Ltd.
	    Cambridge Science Park
	     Milton Road
	      Cambridge CB4 4FD
	       England

		(010 44 223) 862333

  Regards,
	Simon Brueckheimer.  (sdb@stl.stc.co.uk)

--
Regards

Simon Bruekheimer      ( sdb@stl.stc.co.uk +44-279-29531 Ext 3561 )

pr@cl.cam.ac.uk (Peter Robinson) (09/30/88)

Simon Brueckheimer (sdb@stl.stc.co.uk) writes (about the Cambridge Modula-2
systems):
| The author, Peter Robinson, is no longer at Cambridge University, so I
| don't think you will be able to get any help from them anymore.

He means: The author, Mick Jordan, is no longer at Cambridge University;
but Peter Robinson, who worked on the sytem, is still there and tries to
field questions sent to modula-2-request@uk.ac.cam.cl.

The Computer Laboratory has now put the distribution of its Modula-2
systems for VAX/Unix, 68000 (including Sun) and 32016 in the hands of a
local company.  Please contact them for further information:

	Qudos Limited
	Cambridge Science Park
	Milton Road
	Cambridge
	England     CB4 4FD

	Telephone: +44 223 862333
	Facsimile: +44 223 862946
	Telex: 818114

They are not interested in offering support for the language, but should be
willing to provide you with a binary kit or sources.

The system predates the BSI's standardisation efforts, but may change in due
course to comply either with them or (more likely) with Modula-3.

Regards, Peter Robinson.

hpoppe@scdpyr.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (10/03/88)

In article <338@scaup.cl.cam.ac.uk> pr@cl.cam.ac.uk (Peter Robinson) writes:

>The system predates the BSI's standardisation efforts, but may change in due
>course to comply either with them or (more likely) with Modula-3.
>                                                        --------
How does Modula-3 differ from Modula-2?

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET