[comp.lang.modula2] Modula2 Machine

PLISHKA@SCRANTON.BITNET (09/09/88)

Some time back a message came through the network from an individual looking
for a Modula2 machine.  A DISER machine has surfaced at our University and
we may be willing to part with it.  If the same individual is still interested,
contact me directly.

Rich..

markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) (09/13/88)

This may be a stupid question, but...

	What's a DISER machine?  (No flames, please.  I really want to know!)
--
  In real life: Mark E. Davidson       uflorida!novavax!proxftl!markd
  Proximity Technology Inc., 3511 NE 22nd Ave, Ft. Lauderdale FL, 33308

markus@etn-rad.UUCP (Markus N. Richardson) (09/23/88)

In article <749@proxftl.UUCP> markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) writes:

>	What's a DISER machine?

Simply put:
The DISER machine was the first (and only?) attempt of commercializing the
LILITH Modula machine.

A little background may help so here's a bit of history FTWC :-).

The LILITH was the M-coded AM2901 bit-sliced 16 bit machine designed in
Zurich and produced in small quantities by the (non-profit) Modula Research
Institute of Provo, Utah.  It's entire OS was written in Modula-2 (with
M-code extensions of course!).  Some of the founders/owners of the Modula
Research Institute pooled investors/capital together and formed DISER
Incorporated of Orem, Utah (10 minutes up the hill from Provo).  They had
political as well as hardware reliability problems that forced them to close
a year or so after opening.

Who am I?  I was a programmer for MRI for a short time, during the rise and
fall of DISER.  I must admit I loved working with the LILITH at the time
but I must admit it's day has come and long gone.  If I got any of the
above incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

--

        Markus N. Richardson
        Research and Development

        { voder,ihnp4,trwrb,scgvaxd,jplgodo }!wlbr!etn-rad!markus
          wlbr!etn-rad!markus@etn-wlv.eaton.com

dragon@trwspf.TRW.COM (Roger Vossler) (09/28/88)

In article <568@etn-rad.UUCP> markus@etn-rad.UUCP (Markus N. Richardson) writes:
*In article <749@proxftl.UUCP> markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) writes:
*>
*>	What's a DISER machine?
*
*Simply put:
*The DISER machine was the first (and only?) attempt of commercializing the
*LILITH Modula machine.

To continue the story:

     After the demise of Diser Corporation, Richard Ohran (the guy that
built the original Lilith at ETHZ) formed Modula Corporation which
proceeded to build and market the Lilith. A number of machines were
sold in wood cabinets (the Lilith woodie), but soon a metal cabinet
version was released. This was followed by the Lilith PC (aka LiPC)
which was a Lilith box w/o the I/O. I/O was handled via an ordinary
PC or Clone. After repeated attempts to obtain further financing,
Modula Corporation is currently on hold (i.e. it's a shell
corporation with assets/liabilities, but no employees). Richard
has built a version of the four-pass Modula-2 compiler (C-21)
which generates T-codes for the Transputer. He has also written a
version of MEDOS-2 (V5.2 or so) that runs on a PC or Clone and
supports a Viking I monitor (Moniterm). The Transputer runs
about five times faster (T-414) than the Lilith. Now, it is
possible to have a Lilith inside of a PC or Clone on two
AT-style boards (one for the Transputer and one for the Monitern
interface). I don't know if either the Modula-2 compiler for
the Transputer or the packaged setup will ever be products, but
if people are interested, they can contact Ohran in Provo, UT
at 801.226.0395.

    At TRW we purchased approximately 23 Liliths of which most
are still in operation (10 woodies, 1 commercial, and 11 LiPCs)
supporting sensor data processing. I agree that the Lilith has
seen better days, but we still find Modula-2 very useful and
continue to do so. I've been a Lilith fan for about six years.

    I still have hopes of putting together an Amiga 2000 with
the Moniterm setup in the Amiga side and a Transputer running all
of that lovely Lilith code in the PC side along with all
of the Amiga goodies. In fact, I would argue that in a number
of ways, the Amiga is a cheap color Lilith. See you on
the BitStream.

--
-- Roger Vossler
   TRW, Bldg O2-1395, One Space Park, Redondo Beach, CA 90278

HPA111@DE0HRZ1A.BITNET (Michael Drechsler) (09/30/88)

What I allways want to know but was afraid to ask:
Why "Lilith"? What's the reason for the name?

Thanks, Michael

dragon@trwspf.TRW.COM (Roger Vossler) (10/01/88)

In article <INFO-M2%88093008590893@DB0TUI11> Info-Modula2 Distribution List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
*What I allways want to know but was afraid to ask:
*Why "Lilith"? What's the reason for the name?
*
*Thanks, Michael

According to ancient Semitic folklore, Lilith was a female demon
or vampire who lived in desolate places. According to Jewish
mythology, Lilith was the first wife of Adam, before the
creation of Eve. There's a very interesting story connected with
this as well.

According to other legends, Lilith was the first creation of
Luficer, known as the God of Light or The Shining One. Lucifer
is also reputed to be the father of Lilith's twin daughters who
became the consorts of the Angels who were cast out of heaven
with Lucifer. This all occurred before Lucifer invented evil
as the antithesis of life and became Satan.

Lilith and all of her offspring were all decreed to be of
the female sex by their father, Luficer. Lilith and all of
the Daughters of Lilith were stunningly beautiful creatures
who totally captured the souls, attention, etc of all mortal
men who were fortunate (or unfortunate, depending upon your
point of view) to gaze upon them. Thus, Lilith stole men
away from their wives, girlfriends, and/or lovers. Anyone
who has worked upon a Lilith can appreciate how well a
Lilith can totally capture your imagination! Thus, the name
for this computer.
--
Roger Vossler  BIX: rvossler
dragon@trwspf.trw.com

smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan) (10/06/88)

>Lilith and all of her offspring were all decreed to be of
>the female sex by their father, Luficer. Lilith and all of
>the Daughters of Lilith were stunningly beautiful creatures
>who totally captured the souls, attention, etc of all mortal

Additionally, all monsters were regarded as the offspring of Lilith,
including Grendel and his mum.

TSI@cup.portal.com (10/07/88)

If I understand correctly, it is not possible to purchase a Lilith
or similar unless you can find one around used. Is this correct?

If so, where is a good place to start?

David