[comp.lang.modula2] Modula 2 complier for HP-UX ??

jog@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Rajeev Jog) (11/15/88)

Does anyone know if a Modula-2 compiler exists for any machines running
HP-UX ? (HP's implementation of UNIX TM)

Please e-mail if you can.
Thanks,

Rajeev Jog

Systems Performance Laboratory              * voice :   (408) 447-0220
Hewlett-Packard                             * e-mail:   jog@hpperf1.hp.com
19447 Pruneridge Avenue, MS 44UK            *           jog%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
Cupertino, CA. 95014-9974                   * fax   :   (408) 446-0817

frode@m2cs.naggum.se (Frode Odegard) (11/18/88)

In article <7160001@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, jog@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Rajeev Jog) writes:

> Does anyone know if a Modula-2 compiler exists for any machines running
> HP-UX ? (HP's implementation of UNIX TM)
>
> Rajeev Jog

Contact     ana-systems
            Attn: Stan Osborne
            697 Saturn Court, P.O. Box 4759
            Foster City, CA 94404-0759
            USA

Their phone number is: (415) 341-1768.

ana-systems (previously Djavaheri Bros.) has ported the ETH SMILER-2
compiler to a lots of 68K/UNIX combinations, and I think HP is among
these.

A five-pass compiler, SMILER-2 was originally written in CDC Pascal.
However, ana-systems were going to (according to Stan) rewrite it in
Modula-2 and also do a debugger.

Good luck (to both ana-systems and yourself ! :-)

			- Frode
PS: There's a very active Modula-2 community on BIX. Questions like these
    might be answered in the BIX modula.2 conference if you can't get
    any results here.

peter@umecs.cs.umu.se (Peter Lundberg) (11/22/88)

In article <108@m2cs.naggum.se>, frode@m2cs.naggum.se (Frode Odegard) writes:
> In article <7160001@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, jog@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Rajeev Jog) writes:
> >

> > Does anyone know if a Modula-2 compiler exists for any machines running
> > HP-UX ? (HP's implementation of UNIX TM)
> >
> > Rajeev Jog
>
> Contact     ana-systems
>             Attn: Stan Osborne
>             697 Saturn Court, P.O. Box 4759
>             Foster City, CA 94404-0759
>             USA

I called the company about two weeks ago looking for a Modula-2
compiler for our Sun workstations running Unix 3.4 / 3.5.

I then got the answer that the only debugger supported was adb and
that they had no planes either developing a debugger or making the
compiler support gdx / gdx-tools on Sun.

Maybe (hopefully) this guy in California did'nt know what he was
talking about, if so, please tell me I'm wrong because I REALLY NEED
TO FIND a compiler who supports these tools.

Any hints would be appreciated.

 Peter Lundberg.

 peter@cs.umu.se

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (11/23/88)

In article <7160001@hpcupt1.HP.COM> jog@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Rajeev Jog) writes:

>Does anyone know if a Modula-2 compiler exists for any machines running
>HP-UX ? (HP's implementation of UNIX TM)
>Rajeev Jog

Yes, there is one. You may even find it in the newest software catalog
of HP itself. It runs on 9000/300s and there will be a new one for
9000/800sthat has been developed in close cooperation with HP. Here is
an address for US, at the bottom you find another for Europe and in your
catalog you find some more for several countries:

Interface Technologies Corp.
3336 Richmond, Suite 323
Houston, TX-77098-9990

Tel. (713) 523-8422

    .....           Albert Meier        Tel.  +41/1/700 30 37
   .. ....          A+L AG, Im Spaeten 23, CH-8906 Bonstetten
  ..   ....
 .......A+L.        E-Mail          aplusl@ifi.ethz.(ch/UUCP)
..       .......                 ...mcvax!cernvax!ethz!aplusl

frode@m2cs.naggum.se (Frode Odegard) (11/25/88)

In article <619@umecs.cs.umu.se>, peter@umecs.cs.umu.se (Peter Lundberg) writes:

> I called the company [ana-systems] about two weeks ago looking for a
> Modula-2 compiler for our Sun workstations running Unix 3.4 / 3.5.
>
> I then got the answer that the only debugger supported was adb and
> that they had no planes either developing a debugger or making the
> compiler support gdx / gdx-tools on Sun.
>
> Maybe (hopefully) this guy in California did'nt know what he was
> talking about, if so, please tell me I'm wrong because I REALLY NEED
> TO FIND a compiler who supports these tools.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.
>
>  Peter Lundberg.
>
>  peter@cs.umu.se

Well, ana-systems can provide you with ports of their compiler for lots
of obscure machines. If you want a specialized compiler for a popular
machine, you might not want to get ana-systems' compiler as long as
they don't have a debugger.

However, Sun Microsystems has a fairly good compiler of their own,
and the same seems to be true for Oregon Software [although I've
never tested their compiler]. We're using Sun's compiler for a
fairly large (250,000+ loc) Modula-2 project, and so far it seems
to work. You can use Sun's dbx and dbxtool debuggers to debug
programs written with their compiler, while Oregon Software sells
their own debugger.

The University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands will sell you their
Amsterdam compiler kit if you're really desperate. I don't know about
debugging support in the Amsterdam Compiler Kit, though.

					- Frode, M2CS
PS: Good luck!