[comp.lang.modula2] Modula-Prolog

frode@m2cs.naggum.se (Frode Odegard) (11/18/88)

A year or two ago I read about an experimental programming
environment which supported both Modula-2 and Prolog.

I now work for a company which is doing an advanced Modula-2
environment [basically does everything the Symbolics LISP
environment does, but is stronger on database/project management,
support for large (even multi-site) projects, and user interface],
and one of the things we're thinking about is adding support for
Prolog [perhaps as a surface language upon Modula-2 (yup, we have
an interpreter!)].

Now, I think I read this article about something called Modula-
Prolog in..er..IEEE Software..but I can't seem to find that issue
(if indeed it *was* IEEE software) and I was wondering of any of
you people in the Prolog and Modula-2 communities know more about
this project..

BTW, I think it ran on a Mac, but I'm not sure.

				- Frode

heiser@iis.UUCP (Gernot Heiser) (11/26/88)

In article <109@m2cs.naggum.se> frode@m2cs.naggum.se (Frode Odegard) writes:
>A year or two ago I read about an experimental programming
>environment which supported both Modula-2 and Prolog.

The article you refer to was in the November '86 issue of IEEE Software:
"Modula--Prolog: A Software Development Tool" by Carlo Muller, ABB, Baden,
Switzerland. They sell implementations for the Mac, MS-DOS and VMS (at least,
possibly also for UNIX systems). They are also working on a nice graphic
interface, though I don't know whether that has been released yet.

Carlo can be reached at:

ABB AG
Corporate Research, CABC.I
5405 Baden, Switzerland
Tel: +41 56/76 80 04
e-mail: CS3@research.abb.ch (or CS3%research.abb.ch@relay.cs.net)

--
Gernot Heiser                   Phone:       +41 1/256 23 48
Integrated Systems Laboratory   CSNET/ARPA:  heiser%iis.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net