[comp.lang.modula2] Modula-3 ???

edwards@ida.org (Steve Edwards) (11/04/88)

I was told that someone posted an article describing Modula-3, but
I can't seem to find it.  Could the original poster please e-mail
me a copy at the address below?  Thanks in advance...

					--Stephen Edwards
					  edwards@ida.org

alderaan@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) (11/08/88)

In article <574@csed-2.IDA.ORG>, edwards@ida.org (Steve Edwards) writes:

> I was told that someone posted an article describing Modula-3, but
> I can't seem to find it.  Could the original poster please e-mail
> me a copy at the address below?  Thanks in advance...

Huh ? As I know, Niklaus Wirth isn't working on MODULA3, but on Oberon, a
Workstation operating system that has many features of MODULA2. But it's
totally different from the classic view of a programming language.

--

alderaan
OP RKOpdp (RSTS/E)

Dieffenbachstrasze 60-61
1000 Berlin 61

corbett@beatnix.UUCP (Bob Corbett) (11/18/88)

>In article <1655@netmbx.UUCP> alderaan@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas Cervera) writes:
>>In article <574@csed-2.IDA.ORG>, edwards@ida.org (Steve Edwards) writes:
>>>
>>> I was told that someone posted an article describing Modula-3, but
>>> I can't seem to find it.  Could the original poster please e-mail
>>> me a copy at the address below?  Thanks in advance...
>>>
>>Huh ? As I know, Niklaus Wirth isn't working on MODULA3, but on Oberon, a
>>Workstation operating system that has many features of MODULA2. But it's
>>totally different from the classic view of a programming language.
>>
>>alderaan

The net articles refer to Modula-3, a Modula variant designed by Luca Cardelli,
Jim Donahue, Mick Jordan, Bill Kalsow, and Greg Nelson.  Modula-3 is a joint
project of the Digital Systems Research Center and the Olivetti Research Center.
A copy of the Modula-3 Report can be obtained by writing to

			Digital Equipment Corporation
			Systems Research Center
			130 Lytton Avenue
			Palo Alto, California 94301

The Modula-3 report is SRC Research Report 31.  A related SRC report,
"Synchronization Primitives for a Multiprocessor:  A Formal Specification"
(Research Report 20), can be obtained from the same address.

I got a copy of the Modula-3 report this week. I find the language very
impressive.  I have even been considering starting an under-the-desktop
implementation, as it is unlikely I shall get to use one of the existing
implementations any time soon.

					 Truly yours,
					 Bob Corbett
					 uunet!elxsi!corbett
					 ucbvax!sun!elxsi!corbett

campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (12/02/88)

In article <1103@elxsi.UUCP> uunet!elxsi!corbett (Bob Corbett) writes:
}...
}I got a copy of the Modula-3 report this week. I find the language very
}impressive.  I have even been considering starting an under-the-desktop
}implementation, as it is unlikely I shall get to use one of the existing
}implementations any time soon.

I also am very impressed with Modula-3, and discouraged by the lack of an
implementation.  Might there be enough Modula-3 fans on the net to make
feasible a Gnu-like cooperative development effort?  We could beg the
question of target machines by developing a Modula-3-to-C translator,
like the AT&T C++ translator, cfront.  I would certainly be willing
to donate a few of my (increasingly scarce) hours to such a project.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

chase@Ozona.orc.olivetti.com (David Chase) (12/03/88)

In article <1103@elxsi.UUCP> uunet!elxsi!corbett (Bob Corbett) writes:
>The net articles refer to Modula-3, ... Modula-3 is a joint project
>of the Digital Systems Research Center and the Olivetti Research Center.

Olivetti Software Technology Laboratory (formerly Acorn Research
Center) also had a hand in it.

>A copy of the Modula-3 Report can be obtained by writing to
>
>			[DEC-SRC]
>A related SRC report, "Synchronization Primitives for a Multiprocessor:
>A Formal Specification" (Research Report 20), can be obtained from the
>same address.

You can also get copies of the Modula-3 Report from

                     Olivetti Research Center
                     2882 Sand Hill Road, Suite 210
                     Menlo Park, California 94025

We've got plenty of copies (till we run out).  The "Synchronization
Primitives ..." paper is only available from DEC-SRC.

David

PSPINLER%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET ("NEWS FLASH: TURKEYS TRAPPED IN ICE BUCKET IN BLOOM COUNTY") (12/28/88)

Could someone possibly summarize the differences betwixt Modula-2 & 3 on
the Net ??  I don't (yet) have a copy of the language report, but if the
impression it gives is good enough, I'd also be willing to donate some time
to implementing a M-3 front end or compiler.

Patrick Spinler
pspinler%mkvax1@msus1.bitnet

pierson@mist (Dan Pierson) (12/30/88)

In article <INFO-M2%88122716031190@UCF1VM>, PSPINLER%MKVAX1 writes:
>Could someone possibly summarize the differences betwixt Modula-2 & 3 on
>the Net ??

In Modula-2 but not Modula-3

    Variant records

In Modula-3 but not Modula-2

    Objects with single inheritance and default methods
    Garbage collection
    Exception handling
    Safe modules
    ... I have the feeling that something else goes here ...

Of course, there are other differences.

If you're familiar with Mesa and Cedar, Modula-3 is to Modula-2 as
Cedar is to Mesa (roughly).
--
                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson@multimax.encore.com