[comp.lang.modula2] Best compiler for IBM environment ?

rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/07/89)

I'd like to get a Modula-2 compiler and experiment a bit to see if the
features of the language would work for several applications with which I'm
currently tinkering, i.e., rewriting.  To this end I'd like suggestions and
recommendations for a M2 compiler that generates linkable object modules, is
inexpensive < $200, and provides a well supported environment for the neophyte
Modula-2 user.  I know Pascal but have never used Modula-2.

All suggestions and comments are welcomed (by me anyway -- if you don't think
your opinion is of general interest, please e-mail)

Thanks,

CHARLES REZAC   *   bitnet: REZAC@UKANVAX   internet: rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Disclaimer: It's mine, but if you want it you can have it.

troy@daisy.uchicago.edu (Troy Zerr) (02/07/89)

In article <3301@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I'd like to get a Modula-2 compiler and experiment a bit to see if the
>features of the language would work for several applications with which I'm
>currently tinkering, i.e., rewriting.  To this end I'd like suggestions and
>recommendations for a M2 compiler that generates linkable object modules, is
>inexpensive < $200, and provides a well supported environment for the neophyte
>Modula-2 user.  I know Pascal but have never used Modula-2.>

Consider JPI Modula-2.  It originated as a Borland project but was bought
by JPI when Borland decided to put its resources into Turbo C.  It
costs about $100 for the basic package, and has two add-ons:  a technical
kit, which includes an overlay system, rs-232 communications, and a
TSR maker; and a visual debugger which includes a disassembler.
(About $60 each)

The basic package includes an integrated programming environment, so
you can edit, compile, link, and run without going through DOS.
Standard library modules include the usual i/o, file i/o, string
handling, graphics (nothing fancy but supports VGA 640x480) and
a nice multitasking scheduler.  While it doesn't have inline
assembly code, JPI claims it produces tight code.  (It does do port
I/O instructions as inline code, important to time-critical routines.)
It has a smart linker, meaning that when you IMPORT a module, only
the code that you use is linked and not the entire module.  This
makes the usual .OBJ files incompatible with microsoft's linker--
however, a command-line switch can be used to produce microsoft-
compatible .obj's.  The built-in editor is kind of slow but probably
fast enough for light use.

The technical kit is good for satisfying one's curiosity, and is a MUST
if you wish to use the serial ports.  The TSR module works, and is okay
for a "quick-and-dirty" TSR, but the resulting code takes up to much
memory to use constantly.

I haven't used the debugger add-on.

Overall I have been quite happy with JPI Modula-2.  I use it for almost
all of my (somewhat limited) programming tasks.  If you know Pascal
(even if you don't) learning Modula-2  ought to be a piece of cake.

If only they would speed up the screen updates on that d**m editor!

                               Troy Zerr
                               University of Chicago
                               Department of Mathematics

Disclaimer:  I'm not a computer person, but I play one on TV. . .

pattis@june.cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (02/07/89)

I have also heard very good things about JPI's product, but I have never
used it much.

My students, when I taught Modula-2, bought a $50 package from Logitech that
included a compiler, libraries, and a debugger (plus other assorted tools).
This is a very mature system, and the price is hard to beat.  I believe that
it is slower than some of the newer PC Modula-2 systems, JPI included.

I dealt with Romeo Simard, 1-800-231-7717 (the outside California number).
I was always very happy with the service I received. Many Modula-2 books now
include a card offering the $50 student compiler.

Rich Pattis

randy@m2xenix.UUCP (Randy Bush) (02/13/89)

In article <3301@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

asks for recommendations for an MS-DOS Modula-2 to see if the language is
suitable for his needs.

The Fitted Software Tools MS-DOS implementation should suit your needs
quite well.

  o The implementation is sound, full, and quite usable.

  o It implements the language rather well, and does not invent new
    syntax or semantics.  I.e. your application will port well to
    other environments than the cloistered world of MS-DOS.

  o It is shareware.  Try it, and if you don't like it or don't find
    Modula-2 suitable, then don't pay for it.  Should you choose to use
    it, then it's $25 (US), and for $10 more you get library sources.

  o It is well supported by a responsive author, Roger Carvalho.  He
    responds to both SNail and via his BBS.

Should you wish to try it, I could be convinced to send a 1.2mb diskie, but
you might prefer to just DL it from a neighborhood Modulan BBS.  If you can
not find the latter, then try the BBS at +1 (503) 297-9145, where the FST
implementation (and lots of other Modulania) is available to first time
callers.  It is PCPable.

I do not mean to imply that Logitech and JPI are bad choices.  They are not
shareware, and JPI deviates somewhat from the language, though nowhere
nearly as badly as Borland did with ersatz-Pascal.

--
{ mcvax!uunet!oresoft, tektronix!percival!qiclab } !m2xenix!randy  Randy Bush

MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET (Michael Feldman) (02/15/89)

I second the enthusiastic response re: Fitted Software Tools M2.

I have used it with several classes; students and colleagues alike
are impressed.

Be careful if you download from a BBS that you're getting the latest
version! Carvalho has done many fixes and enhancements; BBS's and
services like PBS often have old versions. Version 2.0 is current.

I'll send a copy to people willing to send me 3 blank disks
(3.5" or 5.25").
Michael B. Feldman, Professor              residence address for USNail:
Dept. of Elect. Engrg. and Comp. Sci       Michael B. Feldman
The George Washington University           6218 Wagner Lane
Washington, DC  20052  U.S.A.              Bethesda, MD  20816  U.S.A.
+1-202-994-5253
MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET
MFELDMAN@GWUSUN.GWU.EDU