[comp.lang.modula2] MS-Windows meets MODULA-2

ZIMMERMANN@ISKP.PHYSIK.TU-BERLIN.DBP.DE (02/16/89)

Hi!
Is there anyone on the net who has some experiences in programming
MS-Windows with MODULA-2?

I recently used the Logitech implementation for programming, but know I planned
to change to JPI Top Speed for his ability to generate PROLOG and EPILOG Code.
Is it possible to write programs in JPI which call directly the Windows-
Functions defined in "windows.h". Or is it necessary to write a C-Interface
to perform this.
Hoping the former is true i'm looking for a DEFINITION MODULE analogon to
"windows.h". Has anyone implemented such a file and will share it?

SINBV@NOBERGEN.BITNET ("Bjoern Asle VALDE +47 21 32 46", 5) (02/16/89)

The JPI compiler does indeed generate the prolog/epilog code neccesary
to interface to the Ms Windows toolkit. Some time ago I had the same
idea as you, and spent some days to get `hello world` (in different
releases with bug-fixes :-) up and running using JPI. I concluded that
although you can make it work fairly easy, is it not recommended for
serious work. Read: If you are planning to do something really usefull
you would be better of sticking to C (eventually).

My oppinion was confirmed by Nigel H. (programmer par excelance at JPI)
in a comment he made at BIX a few weeks ago. He also stated that they
(JPI) had no intention of changing this situasion in the near future.

Regards; _Bjorn            "Bruk hakapikken paa Lindberg!!"

km4ba@wa4mei.UUCP (Allen Barrow) (02/21/89)

Concerning MS Win & JPI M2, I seem to remember the guy at PMI
(The repertoire people) mentioning that rep. is growing towards direct
MS Win support. I think the window calls, allready line up, they
just didn't have the library done. So in theory, by using their
pcakage & calls, code would ultimately run under windows.

They do a pretty good job of allowing code to deal with various displays
(including ansi terminals, etc) without change, so it sounds resonable.

They had a deal for JPI users to get their package w/o source for $5-30.
I bit and have been very happy. They really want to sell the library sources,
(I think) for more, and do not provide ph support for the intro pkg, but
it is still a good deal.

Anyway, you might want to check them out.( Ph 503/777-8844 )
Good luck
Alan Barrow
ucsd!gatech!wa4mei!km4ba!km4ba

aubrey@val.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) (02/23/89)

In article <INFO-M2%89021600532852@UCF1VM> Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu> writes:
>Is there anyone on the net who has some experiences in programming
>MS-Windows with MODULA-2?
>
>I recently used the Logitech implementation for programming, but know I planned
>to change to JPI Top Speed for his ability to generate PROLOG and EPILOG Code.

I, too, used Logitech's Modula-2 for programming, and then wanted to write a
MS-Windows application in Modula-2.  I recalled seeing an ad for Stony Brook
Software / Forest Road / Wilton, New Hampshire 03086 in some issue of Dr. Dobbs
in approximately October '87 which announced windows support.

They sent a crippled version of the compiler, and a windows demo program in
response to my specific questions about 'Does it really support MS-windows.'
At that time, March '88, they were estimating having the entire library of
windows calls out in June. Their price for the demo is $10.

I thought that the price, nearly $350 for compiler, environment, and all the
source was steep, but with JPI and the FST (shareware) compilers competing,
perhaps this has dropped some.

Aubrey McIntosh
4926 Spicewood springs Rd
Austin, TX 78759