[comp.lang.modula2] looking for info about Modula-3 implementations

moore@cygnusx1.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (02/25/89)

Does anyone out there have an implementation of Modula-3 or a healthy
subset thereof?  I'd really like to try using this language, even if
it means dealing with a buggy or incomplete compiler.  I've considered
implementing it myself, but I'd like to have some examples to use as
a starting point.

Please reply by email to one of the addresses below.
--
Keith Moore
UT Computer Science Dept.	Internet/CSnet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu

aubrey@val.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) (02/26/89)

I'd like to have some references to `Modula-3.'  Does anyone know where I
can find them?  I have read the '77 articles on `Modula' in Software Practice
and Experience, but have only heard of '3 in this newsgroup.

chase@Ozona.orc.olivetti.com (David Chase) (02/28/89)

In article <261@val.UUCP> aubrey@val.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) writes:
>I'd like to have some references to `Modula-3.'  Does anyone know where I
>can find them?

I'm almost certainly unable to cajole/coerce our mailer into sending
stuff your way, so I'll just post to the group and hope for the best.

The "Modula-3 Report" by Cardelli, Donahue, Glassman, Jordan, Kalsow,
and Nelson can be obtained by (choose one):

  writing to:
   Olivetti Research Center
   2882 Sand Hill Road, Suite 210
   Menlo Park, CA 94025

  writing to:
   DEC Systems Research Center
   130 Lytton Avenue
   Palo Alto, CA 94301

There will probably be a few changes to the "official" language, but
these should only affect programs that try to do (very) tricky things
with the type system.  There is at least one implementation that
handles most of the language, but it is not yet ready for distribution.

David

Nickell.pasa@XEROX.COM (02/28/89)

Aubrey, et al:

Modula3 is the work of DEC's System Research Center.  You can order the
Modula-3 Report from them at:

    130 Lytton Avenue
    Palo Alto, CA  94301

From the Capsule Review:

"Modula-3 descends from Mesa, Modula-2, Cedar, and Modula-2+, and resembles
Object Pascal, Oberon, and Euclid.  A notable feature of this language
family is the use of modules to delineate the separation between the
implementation and the use of inerfaces; modules allow separate compilation
without sacrificing the strong typechecking of languages like Pascal.
Modula-3 supports object-oriented programming, garbage collection,
exception handling, lightweight processes, and the isolation of unsafe
features.  It incorporates a new type system that is simpler, more uniform,
and more powerful than those of its ancestors."

LLi.ESAE@XEROX.COM (03/01/89)

I was able to get a copy of the Modula-3 Report by sending a message to the
librarian at the Olivetti Research Center (Librarian@orc.Olivetti.COM).

Leonard Li.