[net.sf-lovers] Speed of Light

FIRTH%TARTAN@CMU-CS-C.ARPA (01/02/84)

Just a minor nitpick: the speed of light is NOT the same on Pluto
as on Mercury, since it depends on the gravitational potential.  It
is also not necessarily the same for moving observers in a gravitational
field, since their frames of reference might be stressed.

Now the real problem: if we can already DETECT a black hole at the centre
of the galaxy, then we have a lot less than 30,000 years to get out of here.
It is one thing for Beowulf Sheaffer to go by FTL drive to see the core,
and quite another for visible evidence to reach us at light speed.  If we
suppose that fast particle radiation travels at upto 99% of the speed of
light, then it will start hitting us 300 years after we see the light from
matter being sucked into the hole.

How much radiation?  How much will be emitted in the galactic plane, which
presumably is the plane of rotation of the hole (angular momentum being
conserved)?  Do we panic now, or will it wait until next century?

Happy New Year.

PS - the giant spiders of Metebelis III get the crystal back, but the Queen
     Spider (all praise to the Great One!) cannot stand the shock of being
     so super-intelligent and explodes with lots of cheap special effects.

     The idea of a spider spinning a web of brain matter may be original to
     the episode, or may have been lifted from Ballard's The Voices of Time.
-------

johnc@dartvax.UUCP (John Cabell) (01/05/84)

  Your mention that the speed of light is different on Mars
is different on Mercury can't be right.  The speed of light
is fixed, no matter where you are, isn't it?
--
            From the Ever-Questioning Mind of
                         johnc

rlw@wxlvax.UUCP (Richard L. Wexelblat) (01/05/84)

The speed of light is constant in a vacuum.
...leading to interesting paradoxes such as:

A spaceship is leaving Earth at a speed of .5C and you
shine a flashlight out of the forward porthole.  What
is the speed of the photons a)with respect to you,
b)with respect to an observer on Earth.

The answer is C to both a) and b), of course.

--dick wexelblat (...decvax!ittvax!wxlvax!rlw)

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (01/05/84)

In article <15073@sri-arpa.UUCP> JAF%MIT-SPEECH@MIT-MC.ARPA writes:
>From:  Joseph A. Frisbie <JAF%MIT-SPEECH@MIT-MC.ARPA>
>
>The speed of light is rarely the same, it depends on the material it is
>passing through. (Alot slower in dielectrics.) The density of the
>vaccuum is probably greater closer to the sun.  Also aren't there
>gravitational effects, or do space and time change proportionally?

Does this mean that we could collect more vaccuum closer to the sun? :-)

--
Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3,trw-unix}!sdcrdcf!jonab

friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP (friedman ) (01/07/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1500700:uiucdcs:12500061:000:596
uiucdcs!friedman    Jan  6 11:33:00 1984

Wait a minute.

The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant for all oberservers in all
frames of reference.

As for the amount of time we have to escape radiation from the center of
the galaxy:  I don't remember how far away we are from the center, and
therefore from that hypothetical black hole, but I'm under the impression
it's a lot further than 300 light years.  Even more fundamental, if there
is dangerous radiation from that kind of cosmic source, it is unlikely to
be different today, 300 years from today, or 30,000 years from today; all
of those are small times on the cosmic scale.

johnc@dartvax.UUCP (John Cabell) (01/07/84)

>>  Could we collect more vacuum nearer the sun?

I would think so.  The sun heats up what particles there are
so they are moving faster, and are farther apart.  Therefore
there is 'more of a vacuum'.
--johnc

--
            From the Ever-Questioning Mind of
                         johnc

richard@sequent.UUCP (01/09/84)

Uh...sorry. Vacuums are harder farther away from the sun.  The
best place to go for absolutely NO pollution would be outside
of the galaxy - preferably outside of our universe.

The sun is spewing out material constantly - in general, vacuums are
worse close to gravitational bodies.  See net.astro or .physics for
details.

A decent book that incorporated this fact is *TAU ZERO* by (i think)
Poul Anderson.  His science in this one is pretty hard, although
the ending is a little far-fetched.

			...!sequent!richard
				the rider in black

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (01/09/84)

Just wondering, how do "collect" a vacuum?  Perhaps you mean "uncollect"?
To collect something, there has to be something to collect, right?  Then,
it must follow that to collect nothing, nothing can not be collected, thus,
you can't collect a vacuum.:-).

Puzzeled by it all --T. C. Wheeler

riber@uicsl.UUCP (01/10/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1507300:uicsl:10700073:000:128
uicsl!riber    Jan  9 09:21:00 1984

	can you link this subject to science fiction or are you lost.
please use the correct notes group for this discussion.

riber

giles@ucf-cs.UUCP (Bruce Giles) (01/11/84)

1:   Even more to the point with the radiation question -- There should
     be no difference in radiation in comparison with 300 years *ago*,
     3000 years *ago*, etc.  The fact that we are still here tends to
     strongly support the view that we will still be here tomorrow.  (A
     related question was recently discussed on net.math concerning
     the success of the MAD doctrine:  the implication was that since
     we have survived 38 years of mutual possesion of nuclear devices,
     the odds are no greater than 1/38 that we will not survive next
     year, all things being equal.)

2:   The time compression due to gravitation effects can be determined
     using general relativity; however the effects are negligible for most
     reasonable problems.  One thing which is not as negligible, however,
     is orbital precession due to (a) the presence of mass, and (b) the
     rotation of said mass.  In fact, it was due to an *anomoly* in the
     calculated precession of Mercury's orbit that general relativity
     was developed.  It now appears that this anomolous precession can
     be explained by a better model of the structure of the sun, leaving
     very serious questions about general relativity.  BUT -- special
     relativiy is still on extremely firm theoretical ground, and in
     the question of which is `more accurate', I suspect that sr will
     come out ahead. (alas).

3:   If you want to be picky, every single science fiction book which
     uses time-warps, hyperdrive, et nauseam is related to this discussion.
     I may be a personality defect to some individuals on the net, but I
     can not seriously consider any book/story/idea which is not at the
     least possible in my eyes.  As a result, I *loath* lord of the rings,
     etc.

     Some science fiction storys/books/... which would be affected by
     this physics phenomenum are:

     *The Forever War* by J. Haldeman -- uses black holes for
     					 transportation, time compression

     *The McAndrew Chronicles* by ?   -- deals heavily with special
					 and general relativity, ECD and QED.

     The Known Space series by Larry Niven --  The most visible example
					 is the calculation (in gr) that
					 Shaffer's ship will leave the
					 black hole with a sizable spin
					 in *Neutron Star*.

     If it is insisted that this discussion refer to science fiction
     stories, the McAndrew Chronicles alone contain enough material to
     make this net look like net.physics for a few months (:-}).

Bruce Giles
UUCP:		decvax!ucf-cs!giles
cs-net:		giles@ucf
ARPA:		giles.ucf-cs@Rand-Relay
Snail:		University of Central Florida
		Dept of Math, POB 26000
		Orlando Fl 32816

JAF%MIT-SPEECH@MIT-MC.ARPA (01/11/84)

From:  Joseph A. Frisbie <JAF%MIT-SPEECH@MIT-MC.ARPA>

The speed of light is rarely the same, it depends on the material it is
passing through. (Alot slower in dielectrics.) The density of the
vaccuum is probably greater closer to the sun.  Also aren't there
gravitational effects, or do space and time change proportionally?

Joe
-------

ab3@pucc-h (Darth Wombat) (01/11/84)

	I would think so.  The sun heats up what particles there are
	so they are moving faster, and are farther apart.  Therefore
	there is 'more of a vacuum'.

	--dartvax!johnc

Sorry, but incorrect for a number of reasons:

	1. The sun emits particles; assuming that this emission is
roughly isotropic means that the density of emitted particles is
roughly inversely proportional to radial distance from the sun to at
least the second power.

	2. Directly addressing your point -- the "harder vacuum" is one
with fewer particles per volume; not one with "faster particles per volume"
or "farther apart particles per volume".  I.e. the particle density will
stay constant for any macroscopic volume since any {quickly} exiting
particle will probably be replaced by a {quickly} entering particle.
--
"Go ahead...make my day."
Darth Wombat

kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) (01/11/84)

*

   The McAndrew Chronicles is a collection of stories by Charles Sheffield
(three cheers!), which have appeared in various SF magazines over the last
few years.  A personal note: there are several scientists presently
practicing science-fiction writing.  Charles Sheffield has mastered it;
he need not practice any more (although I sure hope that he does!).

-Kieran A. Carroll
...decvax!utzoo!kcarroll

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (01/12/84)

Come now gentlefolk, "density" of a vacuum?