[comp.lang.modula2] turbo Modula-2

marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) (11/20/86)

> > Would anyone know if and when BORLAND is planning to come out with
> > TURBO MODULA2 for the Atari ST series?
>
> According to Borland at the Comdex show, they have no plans for Modula-2
> for _any_ system.

Interesting.  Ford & Wiener's book "Modula-2 -- A Software Development
Approach" now has a red stripe across the front cover which states
"covers Turbo Modula-2".  (I think this is the 2nd edition, because
earlier books had a totally different front cover design.)  Appendix 4,
page 380 and following, is entitled "Recent Developments: Turbo
Modula-2".  Let me quote:

	Borland International, the producer of Turbo Pascal, has
	produced Turbo Modula-2, which currently runs under CP/M
	in the Z-80 environment.  They are expected to release
	an MS-DOS version for the 8086 and 80286 family of computers
	in 1986.

They go on to summarize changes and extensions in Turbo Modula-2,
including built-in generic READ, READLN, WRITE, WRITELN procedures
(as in Pascal), and language extensions for exception handling.

Moreover, at the Apple exhibition this spring in SF, Borland had
a booth where they listed Turbo Modula-2 for IBM PC as available.
Since I do not own an IBM PC, and never will, I didn't investigate
any further ...

Can anybody enlighten the net, what the true status of Turbo Modula-2
is?

--Bob Marti, ETH Zurich

NU113738@NDSUVM1.BITNET (10/23/87)

Hello, this is the first time I've posted on this system and I've been
reading over this area somewhat and I have a question.   I'm currently
enrolled in a software design class in college and our default language
is modula-2.  Before this year, I had never touched the language before as
pascal used to be default here.  I like modula-2 a great deal and it
steps beyond pascal and makes modularization and abstraction easier
to implement.

The book used in the basic modula-2 learning class that I borrowed is
written around a Turbo modula-2.  I assume its from Bordland Co. but
I have never seen Turbo Modula-2 advertised anywhere.  Does Bordland
have a modula-2 compiler and if so, how much?

Thanks

Jeff Bakke (Brazil)
NU11373@NDSUVM1.BITNET

BOTCHAIR@UOGUELPH.BITNET (Alex Bewley) (10/24/87)

   Yes Borland does have a Modula-2 compiler.  But it was developed before
Turbo Pascal and when Modula-2 wasn't that hot.
   In my opinion, I would highly recommend LogiTech Modula-2.  They are at
version three and have some very good library routines.  The price it is
offered at too is really reasonable.

===============
Alex Bewley
'Just this guy'

abp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (10/28/87)

Turbo Modula-2 does indeed exist!  However, if you don't have a machine with a
Z80 compatible processor (Hitachi 64180, Z280, etc.) you're out of luck.  From
its reviews, it appears to be the fastest compiled language for CP/M-80.  It
runs 10 iterations of the sieve benchmark in ~6 seconds on a 5 megaherz Kaypro.
I assume that the 64180 version would be even faster.  Turbo Pascal 3.01A does
it in ~18 seconds.  The other Modula-2 compiler for CP/M, FTL, runs the sieve
in ~12 seconds, but it produces MUCH more compact code.  The Turbo compilers
both link in a set of run-time routines upon compilation to disk, while FTL
only links in the necessary routines.  (Sorry if this terminology is a bit
strange for M-2, I program in C, Pascal & (AUGH!) FORTRAN.)

I understand that there is also a FTL compiler for MS-DOS, but that it is
currently only small code, small data.  This may have been changed by now.
FTL has an integrated environment ala' Turbo Pascal, but it does it by
chaining back & forth between the editor and the compiler.  You really need
a hard disk or good-sized ram disk to use it.  A fast quad-density drive
probably wouldn't be too bad either.

Turbo Modula-2 for Z80's is available from Echelon (the ZCPR/ZRDOS people) for
about $90.00.

Turbo Modula-2 for the 64180 is available from MicroMint (the SB-180 people)
for about $70.00.

FTL Modula-2 for CP/M & MS-DOS is available from Workman & Assoc. for about $50.

I have no connection with any of the above mentioned companies.  I am a
(relatively) satisfied owner of Turbo Pascal, and if I had $90 to spare, I'd
have my check off to Echelon so fast it would make Phillipe Kahn's head spin!

				Jeff Wieland
				abp@j.cc.purdue.edu

schaub@sugar.UUCP (Markus Schaub) (10/30/87)

M2SDS from Interface Technologies is a very fast compiler. Sells for $99 and
they just released a new version.

Hope that helps, Turbo Modula-2 seems like vaporware, or?
Markus

In article <934@sugar.UUCP>, schaub@sugar.UUCP (Markus Schaub) writes:
> M2SDS from Interface Technologies is a very fast compiler. Sells for $99 and
> they just released a new version.

As I mentioned to you at the users group meeting, I've looked at M2SDS. It
didn't really excite me, mainly because it's a closed system with a funky
FrameWork-style user interface and because the editor had a tendency to
crash and burn when you tried to import a program with bugs in it. Have
they fixed the bugs in M2SDS and/or provided a conventional command-line
style user interface?
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

schaub@sugar.UUCP (Markus Schaub) (11/03/87)

In article <961@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> FrameWork-style user interface and because the editor had a tendency to
> crash and burn when you tried to import a program with bugs in it. Have
> they fixed the bugs in M2SDS and/or provided a conventional command-line
> style user interface?
> -- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter

The same interface, improved compiler (lots of bugs fixed), editor doesn't
crash anymore (or better not as often as before, currently no known bugs).
Importing programs is still difficult, and no command line interface available.
It is a syntax-directed editor, importing faulty programs into a tree structure
is difficult, the command line interface should be possible.

--
        //
       //  Markus Schaub

abp@j.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (01/08/88)

I called Echelon yesterday (1/6/88) to inquire about my order for Turbo
Modula-2.  They said they were holding back shipments until February because
Borland had agreed to take it back and FIX THE BUGS!!  Echelon had been trying
to either get the source from Borland or to Borland to fix it itself.  There
are apparently eight bugs.

				Jeff Wieland
				abp@j.cc.purdue.edu

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (03/12/88)

I called Echelon this afternoon (3/11) to check on the status of my order
for Turbo Modula-2 for CP/M-80.  I was told that the new version with the
bug fixes is due back from Borland "by the end of the month".  In early
February, I was told that it was due back by the end of February.  And
when I called in late December, I was told that the reason that my order
(sent in late November) had not shipped was because the manuals were being
reprinted.  The shipping date was then placed in mid-January.

Echelon also said that it probably would be useless to call Borland
direct, as they would deny all knowledge of this product.

Since Echelon has not cashed my check yet, I don't harbor any ill will
towards them.  It sure is annoying, though.

			Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu

wick@INSTR.CAMOSUN.BC.CA (Darrell Wick) (03/29/89)

Several previous notes query the state of Turbo Modula-2.  According
to the articles I have been reading, Borland International's Modula-2
is the JPI Modula-2.  Apparently, one of the original founders of
Borland bought the rights to the Modula-2 project (aborted in favor
of Turbo C) and completed development.  So the JPI Modula-2 compiler
actually started life as the Borland compiler.
(ref: Computer Language, Aug 1988)

SCOTT@GACVAX1.BITNET (03/30/89)

I believe that Jenson (of J*enson*PI) is a former employee of Borland.
As an employee, he worked on Turbo M2. Borland decided that Turbo Pascal
was too similar to M2 already, so they didn't market it. A clause in
their contracts says something to the effect that they can leave with
software that Borland decides not to market. So Jenson left.

This may or may not be the truth. I think I gleaned this from BYTE, awhile
back. Looking at the user interface, though, I believe it.

Scott Hess,
<Scott@gacvax1.bitnet>