[comp.lang.modula2] Strange Logitech errors.

MSRS002@ECNCDC.BITNET ("THE DOCTOR.") (08/07/89)

Jim Ennis mentions two errors he gets when importing variables from another
module:
>* 84: Not all defined procedures or hidden types implemented.
>*101: undeclared identifier in export list of the module.

It looks to me like your definition module and implementation module do not
match.  The identifiers must match exactly. (Remember to check the case)

Tom Ruby
MSRS002@ECNCDC

Disclaimer:  I probably don't know what I'm talking about anyhow.

pattis@june.cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (08/08/89)

In article <INFO-M2%89080712505542@UCF1VM>, MSRS002@ECNCDC.BITNET ("THE DOCTOR.") writes:
> Jim Ennis mentions two errors he gets when importing variables from another
> module:
> >* 84: Not all defined procedures or hidden types implemented.
> >*101: undeclared identifier in export list of the module.
>
> It looks to me like your definition module and implementation module do not
> match.  The identifiers must match exactly. (Remember to check the case)
>
> Tom Ruby
> MSRS002@ECNCDC

Can someone explain why this compiler doesn't say which procedures or types
are not implemented?  My students, for the 4 years we used Modula-2 on our VAX
had to suffer through this same error message.  Obviously the compiler knows
which symbols weren't implemented.  Why won't it tell us?  Reminds me of a
talk that Dijkstra gave at CMU, in which he said that if a program is not
syntactically correct, the compiler should print just "Not syntactically
correct" as an error message.

Rich Pattis

exiphm@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (h.munk) (08/08/89)

> talk that Dijkstra gave at CMU, in which he said that if a program is not
> syntactically correct, the compiler should print just "Not syntactically
> correct" as an error message.

Well, knowing Dijkstra, what would you expect.

Anyway, he was talking about syntax, wherehere we are discussing a
problem with semantics.

Now Dijkstra might suggest printing "Not semantically correct" as an error
message. But he knows whatt it is to teach students. And he's sure one
heck of a teacher on many aspects of computer science.

Harm Munk

Standard disclaimer: none (what the heck, I resigned anyway)