[comp.lang.modula2] History of Logitech M-2 for VMS

marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) (12/04/89)

In article <891203.15352902.095605@UWEC.CP6>, S703975@UWEC.BITNET
(ANDREW TREMBLEY) writes:
> [ ... ]
> The Logitech M-2 compiler is really a port of Wirth's code to other systems
> by Frankfurt University (don't ask me were Hamburg comes in with the name--
> I assume that there's no relation to the city) which is distributed in the
> US by Logitech.

The Logitech/Hamburg Modula-2 compiler for VAX/VMS is indeed a port of
Wirth's original Modula-2 compiler for PDP-11.  It was ported by Prof.
Schmidt's group at the University of _Hamburg_ around 1982.  Schmidt
subsequently moved to Frankfurt (around 1984), so that's where Frankfurt
University comes in.  Last I heard, Schmidt recently moved back to
Hamburg again ...
--
Robert Marti                      Phone:      +41 1 256 52 36
Institut fur Informationssysteme