[comp.lang.modula2] Amiga Modula 2

D.J.Bennett@SYSE.SALFORD.AC.UK (12/14/89)

Hi.....

I have an Amiga A500 1 meg and would like to program in M2 on it.  However
I am at a bit of a loose end as to which one to use.  The options seems to be
as follows:

Use the PD on FISH something or other ( anyone know ?????)
Buy M-2 Developers by M2S ( rough price 110 uk sterling )
Buy Benchmark M2          ( ----------''--------------- )
Wait to see if HiSoft (uk) license a US Modula 2 (currently rumoured)

Questions:
1: What is The PD one like (M2Amiga??????) and do you need an Amiga.lib?
2: Which is better M-2 Developers or Benchmark
3: Does anyone know which/if etc the one HiSoft is trying to license is
   and how it compares with the above?
4: And lastly When is the new Douglas Adams book coming out????
   ( I know its not really Modula 2 but most of this letter is.)

Thank you

David J BENNETT           ( D.J.BENNETT@uk.ac.salford.syse )

rrogers@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (MainToad) (12/15/89)

The PD Modula-2 compiler m2Amiga is just a demo version of the M2Amiga develop-
ment system.  The PD version limits the size of the source code, only provides
a few libraries, and doesn't come with all the extra goodies (make, project
manager, etc) of the commercial package.

M2Amiga is by far the best Modula-2 system for the Amiga.  The M2S package has
a flashy editor, but the compiler doesn't take advantage of the Amiga.  M2Amiga
makes full use of the Amiga's 32 bitness, works with all  680x0s, interfaces to
the operating system as good as or better than any C compiler, has the best run
time system of ANY compiler I've ever seen.  Source Level Debugger is avail.
no copy protection, hard drive installable.

Customer support is also great.

1-800-922-9049
BBS 713-523-9510

{no affiliation other than being a VERY satisfied customer}

--

     MainToad        rrogers%sumax.uucp@beaver.cs.washington.edu

       _  o     ___  _   _   _|   Disclaimer:   All these thoughts are mine -
 /\/\ (_| | /\/  |  (_) (_| (_|                 Nobody else is this stoopid

D.J.Bennett@SYSE.SALFORD.AC.UK (01/15/90)

I apologise for any previous messages that evokes and anoyance, frustration
hate, etc.  Any news on Amiga Modula 2 ( ie latest versions, good compilers
.....)  Please can you send to :
David J BENNETT
c/o Mark A WEST
MWE2@uk.ac.exeter.cs

Thanks

David J BENNETT
signing out for this year......

claudio@FORTY2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (01/16/90)

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.modula2

Current Version of M2Amiga is V3.3, released at the end of 1989. I don't know
if the english version is already available, the german version is available.
--
			claudio (claudio@forty2.uucp)

INTERNET: claudio@amsoft.imp.com   BITNET: K538912@CZHRZU1A
Mail: Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Switzerland

apang@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (Anthon 'Amiga' Pang) (01/17/90)

Sorry, I couldn't get mail through to MWE2@uk.ac.exeter.cs <Mark West>.

So...Mark if you get this, please forward to David Bennett

The current version of Benchmark Modula-2 is 1.04.  (added better debugger
support to 1.03).  Their (Avant Garde's) Source Level Debugger IS available.
It's a fast single pass compiler.  The generated object code can't be
optimized as well as Lattice C, but hey, the empasis is SPEED.  I would
recommend Benchmark.  The modules follow the Amiga 'C' naming & grouping
of functions (unlike M2Amiga).  It's faster than TDI.  And you don't have to
pay extra for libraries you don't necessarily need (M2Sprint)--Simplified
Amiga, IFF, C Libraries (though you can buy these separately for Benchmark).
M2Sprint is planning/coding/releasing their own SLD real soon now. (Correct
me if I'm wrong.)  M2Sprint's author happens to be comp.sys.amiga (sorry, don't
have his email address on hand).

I'm really happy with Benchmark.  I've found it really easy to use (integrated
environment--editor, compiler, linker), even from the CLI.  I've been using
it for personal and school work, where possible (they're forcing us to code in
that _C_ryptic language with all those _C_urly braces {}).  I wish Apollo (HP?)
would port M2 to their workstations...life would be so much easier :).

----
These are my opinions.  Not necessarily based on experience or heresay.
Flames, comments, questions to: apang@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca

martin@CLIK.QC.CA (Martin Taillefer) (01/20/90)

Hi, just thought I'd signal my presence. I'm the main dude behind
M2Sprint. I've left M2S due to significant differences between the
management and I on financial matters. M2Sprint has just been sold to a
new company called Preferred Technologies. Development of the debugger
and of version 2.0 of the product has been stopped ever since I left,
in early October.

I'm currently working oanother programming environment for the Amiga
which should cause quite a stur in the market when it comes out in
spring. I can't say more about this for the moment.

At present, M2Sprint is in fact the best product for Modula-2 development.
It is both significantly faster than BM-2, and generates MUCH smaller
programs. The product comes with MANY more library modules, and you get
all the sources to these as well. The editor is vastly superior
to the editor that comes wi BM-2 or M2Amiga, and is in fact in
many ways superior to editors sold as stand-alone products such as
TxEd+ or CED Pro.

The problem with M2Sprint is the price. It's too high, and it's one
of the reasons I left M2S.

--
Martin Taillefer  --  Let's talk M2!
PHONE: 514/640-5734   BIX: vertex