[comp.lang.modula2] M2 & Windows

BOTCHAIR@UOGUELPH.BITNET (Alex Bewley) (01/20/90)

    Has anyone out there successfully interfaced Logitech Modula-2 with
  Windows?  I have been playing around with the Windows libraries and
  some neat stuff can be done.  Unfortunately, right now, what I have
  only works when programming in C.
    I have managed to get the Modula-2 programs compiled and then linked
  using link4, but Windows complains that they are too big to run.
    Is there a Window guru who could point out what I am doing wrong?

       Alex

wallaschek@UUNET.UU.NET (Adrian Wallaschek) (01/22/90)

In comp.lang.modula2 you write:

>    Has anyone out there successfully interfaced Logitech Modula-2 with
>  Windows?  I have been playing around with the Windows libraries and
>  some neat stuff can be done.  Unfortunately, right now, what I have
>  only works when programming in C.

   MS-C has a option named -Gw or something like that (look up your manual!).
   This option encapsules every function in a windows-specific prolog and
   epilog.

>    I have managed to get the Modula-2 programs compiled and then linked
>  using link4, but Windows complains that they are too big to run.
>    Is there a Window guru who could point out what I am doing wrong?

   I'm afraid your Modula-compiler doesn't know about a MS-specific prolog/
   epilog, so your compiler is not able to generate windows-programs at all.

   (I posted yesterday for a research for a compiler that support windows.
    We'll see what I'll get.)

   I hope it hit you not too hard, but I'm afraid there's no way!
   (Perhaps a real guru will find a hack, but I don't beleive, because
    the prolog/epilog-structure must be embedded deep in the code-generator
    of the compiler and I haven't ever seen the source of a Modula-Compiler.)

   Yours,

     prefect (A.Wallaschek, wallaschek@uniol.UUCP)

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (01/24/90)

In article <m0gpowX-0000CeC@aragorn> Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@PSUVM.PSU.EDU> writes:
>In comp.lang.modula2 you write:
>

>>    Has anyone out there successfully interfaced Logitech Modula-2 with
>>  Windows?  I have been playing around with the Windows libraries and
>
>   I'm afraid your Modula-compiler doesn't know about a MS-specific prolog/
>   epilog, so your compiler is not able to generate windows-programs at all.
>
>   (I posted yesterday for a research for a compiler that support windows.
>    We'll see what I'll get.)
>
>   I hope it hit you not too hard, but I'm afraid there's no way!
>   (Perhaps a real guru will find a hack, but I don't beleive, because
>    the prolog/epilog-structure must be embedded deep in the code-generator
>    of the compiler and I haven't ever seen the source of a Modula-Compiler.)

The source of a modula 2 compiler is widely available through DECUS.  It's
written in Modula 2 (of course), and is essentially the ETH compiler.  So
it's back to the issue of whether a Windows guru can be found to fix up the
special stuff.
                                  Steve J.