[comp.lang.modula2] Macintosh Modula-2

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (01/06/90)

I am looking for a good Modula-2 compiler for the Macintosh, ideally one
with good toolbox interfaces and capable of running without a local hard
disk (i.e., a Think Pascal-type environment, not an MPW implementation
or similar).

Any good ideas?

Philip Machanick

timm@kinetics.com (Tim Myers) (01/24/90)

In article <1990Jan6.041611.26872@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
>I am looking for a good Modula-2 compiler for the Macintosh, ideally one
>with good toolbox interfaces and capable of running without a local hard
>disk (i.e., a Think Pascal-type environment, not an MPW implementation
>or similar).
>
>Any good ideas?
>
>Philip Machanick

 I can think of two such compilers that are suitable for academic use:

1. MacMETH from ETH Zeurich.  It might still be available from Modula Corp
   at (801) 224-8999 for around $100.  It works on floppies.

2. A public domain MacLogimo Plus from Project Modula, P.O. Box 2137, Provo,
   Utah 84603.  $20 for five floppies sent by first class mail.  If there
  is enough interest, I might be able to find an anonymous FTP site willing
  to distribute it.  Since it is public domain, it is ideal for classroom use.

Hope that helps,

++Tim

----------------
Tim Myers

What are you looking here for?  Read the header.

lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) (01/25/90)

In article <1000@excelan.COM> timm@plasma.kinetics.com (Tim Myers) writes:
>In article <1990Jan6.041611.26872@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
>>I am looking for a good Modula-2 compiler for the Macintosh, ideally one
>>with good toolbox interfaces and capable of running without a local hard
>>disk (i.e., a Think Pascal-type environment, not an MPW implementation
>>or similar).
>>
>>Any good ideas?
>>
>>Philip Machanick
>
> I can think of two such compilers that are suitable for academic use:
>
>1. MacMETH from ETH Zeurich.  It might still be available from Modula Corp
>   at (801) 224-8999 for around $100.  It works on floppies.
>
>2. A public domain MacLogimo Plus from Project Modula, P.O. Box 2137, Provo,
>   Utah 84603.  $20 for five floppies sent by first class mail.  If there
>  is enough interest, I might be able to find an anonymous FTP site willing
>  to distribute it.  Since it is public domain, it is ideal for classroom use.
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>++Tim

MetroWorks is distributing a Modula-2 system with it's own environment. They
have a student version for $39 that's being distributed by MacMillian
Publishing Company. Let's see, (looking at my notes)...

It's called the Metrowerks Modula-2 StartPak (TM). It's sold by Macmillans
sales reps direct to the campus bookstore and professors.
ISBN-0-02-380810-1

Your can reach Metrowerks on the net at Modula2@MIPS1.UQAM.CA

--
Chuck Lins               | "Exit left to funway."
Apple Computer, Inc.     | Internet: lins@apple.com