[comp.lang.modula2] PC Compilers

tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) (01/19/90)

I am interested in finding a newer, faster M2 compiler for some applications
created under the Logitech PC compiler.

TopSpeed?, Stonybrook?, <other>?, is there a new Logitech?

I'd appreciate any information and experience that you can share with me.

Some specific questions I have in mind:

     > Is there a supplied module functionally equivalent (or close to)
       the Logitech FileSystem module?

     > Is there any difficulty substituting you own Terminal and InOut, etc,
       modules for those supplied?

     > Are CoRoutines supported?

     > Can the program gain control, at least in order to do some cleanup
       and error message output, upon an exception such as HALT, index
       out of range, etc.

     > Are string literals nulldelimited by the compiler? Does TopSpeed
       do this?

     > Is object code Mic****ft format? Libraries supported? other tools?

     > Is anything missing that I tend to take for granted as an expected
       part of a M2 implementation, eg, definition version enforcement,
       run time index and overflow checking, unlimited name sizes, etc?

Thanks.

                    Tom Breeden
                    tmb@virginia.EDU   -> Internet
                    tmb@virginia       -> Bitnet

arminius@violet.berkeley.edu (01/25/90)

In article <1990Jan19.141024.16070@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) writes:
>I am interested in finding a newer, faster M2 compiler for some applications
>created under the Logitech PC compiler.
>
>TopSpeed?, Stonybrook?, <other>?, is there a new Logitech?

Logitech just announced a new version of their compiler, release 3.4.  They
say it will be available in a few weeks.

>I'd appreciate any information and experience that you can share with me.
>
>Some specific questions I have in mind:
>
>     > Is there a supplied module functionally equivalent (or close to)
>       the Logitech FileSystem module?

Logitech also has the LogiFile module, which I find much faster.  It seems
it has most of the same functions but wasn't built on top of tons of
other code.