[comp.lang.modula2] Want GENERIC M2 for Z-100

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (02/19/90)

I am teaching a course this semester which uses Modula-2 as its
implementation language, and I'd sure like to find a PD M2 system
for use at home on my old Z-100, which is an almost-but-NOT-quite-clone
8088 running MS-DOS 2.x

Any information would be appreciated!
--Myron.
--
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor   (913) 539-4448 home

reid@CTC.CONTEL.COM (Tom Reid x4505) (02/20/90)

>I am teaching a course this semester which uses Modula-2 as its
>implementation language, and I'd sure like to find a PD M2 system
>for use at home on my old Z-100, which is an almost-but-NOT-quite-clone
>8088 running MS-DOS 2.x

It is not free and not PD, but there is an inexpensive M2 system for the
pc.  It is the FST by Roger Carvalho.  It can run on a 2-floppy system
but is much preferable on a HD system.  It can be ordered from:

		Fitted Software Tools
		P.O. Box 867403
		Plano, TX 75086

or you can download it from his BBS at (214)517-4629.  The registration
is $29.  For $49, you get the latest version plus the source to the
run-time libraries.  If you can ftp, it is also on our host via
anonymous login:

		turing.ctc.contel.com

in the files fstm2a.arc, fstm2b.arc, fstm2c.arc, and fstm2d.arc.  Simtel20
only has the 1.3 version.

The system comes with a turbo-pascal-like built-in editor, automatic file
make, and a makefile generator.  All-in-all, a very comfortable system.  I
used it in a translator construction course and it performed well.

Tom.

Thomas F. Reid, Ph. D.                   (703)818-4505 (work)
Contel Technology Center                 (703)742-8720 (home)
15000 Conference Center Blvd.            Net: reid@ctc.contel.com
P.O. Box 10814
Chantilly, Va.  22021-3038

HJ647C@GWUVM.BITNET (Pete Davis) (02/20/90)

  I have a PD modula-2 available on my BBS, and I'm sure it's around on
other systems. It's called FMOD2xxx.ZIP. where xxx is DOC, CMP, UTL, EXA,
etc. (Docs, Compiler, Utilities, Examples) there are 5 or 6 files. I think
an old version is available from Simtel. I have version 2, which I
believe is the newest version. If you can't find a copy anywhere else,
you could get it from my BBS at (202)966-3647. It's quite a haul for a
long distance call, though, you might want to look for it locally.
  This Modula-2 compiler is very professional, and looks a lot like the
old Turbo Pascal V3.0-  It's a pretty fast compiler, and has most of the
options you'd look for in a commercial compiler without the cost.

                                               _Pete Davis

reid@CTC.CONTEL.COM (Tom Reid x4505) (02/20/90)

>  I have a PD modula-2 available on my BBS, and I'm sure it's around on
>other systems. It's called FMOD2xxx.ZIP. where xxx is DOC, CMP, UTL, EXA,
>etc. (Docs, Compiler, Utilities, Examples) there are 5 or 6 files. I think
>an old version is available from Simtel. I have version 2, which I

This sounds very much like the FST compiler.  It is not PD but shareware.
See my earlier message.

Tom.

mac@HARRIS.CIS.KSU.EDU ("Myron A. Calhoun") (02/20/90)

In article <INFO-M2%90021915572785@UCF1VM.BITNET> you write:
>  I have a PD modula-2 available on my BBS, and I'm sure it's around on
>other systems. It's called FMOD2xxx.ZIP. where xxx is DOC, CMP, UTL, EXA,
>etc. (Docs, Compiler, Utilities, Examples) there are 5 or 6 files. I think
>an old version is available from Simtel. I have version 2, which I
>believe is the newest version. If you can't find a copy anywhere else,
>you could get it from my BBS at (202)966-3647. It's quite a haul for a
>long distance call, though, you might want to look for it locally.
>  This Modula-2 compiler is very professional, and looks a lot like the
>old Turbo Pascal V3.0-  It's a pretty fast compiler, and has most of the
>options you'd look for in a commercial compiler without the cost.

Any chance for email or ftp access?  Or even a plain disk-by-mail?
And when you mention the old TP V3.0-, that gives me hope it actually
might run on a Z-100!
--Myron.
--
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor   (913) 539-4448 home
# INTERNET: mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu   (129.130.10.2)         532-6350 work
# UUCP: ...{rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!mac             532-7004 fax
# AT&T Mail:  attmail!ksuvax1!mac

HJ647C@GWUVM.BITNET (Pete Davis) (02/20/90)

Well, the 1.3 version, I believe, is available from Simtel. The source
code is not included, and I was reminded that it was Shareware, and not
public domain. I played around with it for a short time, and found it,
at least in terms of execution speed, very competetive with Borland
and Microsoft compilers. It's code optimization isn't the best, but for the
price, who can complain. Try FTPing simtel for it in the Modula-2 section.
                                        _Pete Davis

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (02/21/90)

In article <25DFFB94.706F@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) writes:
>I am teaching a course this semester which uses Modula-2 as its
>implementation language, and I'd sure like to find a PD M2 system
>for use at home on my old Z-100, which is an almost-but-NOT-quite-clone
>8088 running MS-DOS 2.x

>Any information would be appreciated!

A number of people have already Followed-up with information about the
Fitted Software Tools M2 compiler, but nobody (as of this writing) has
addressed the issue of Z-100 compatibility.  I'm not sure what the
differences between a Z-100 and a PClone are, but I know that I was
able to run FST M2 on my TI Pro (not PC compatible) after first locating
the display output driver routine in the program image and patching in
one of my own for the TI Pro.  This was on V1.1.  I now have V1.3, but
haven't had time to apply the patch to the new version.

The package seems to be good and probably worth registering.  I do not
know enough to evaluate the merits of any M2 compiler. Is anyone out
there in a position to compare FST M2 with other available M2 packages?

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

reid@CTC.CONTEL.COM (Tom Reid x4505) (02/21/90)

>From @PSUVM.PSU.EDU:INFO-M2@UCF1VM.BITNET Tue Feb 20 14:07:33 1990
>Sender: Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
>From: Pete Davis <HJ647C%GWUVM.BITNET@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Want GENERIC M2 for Z-100
>
>Well, the 1.3 version, I believe, is available from Simtel. The source
>code is not included, and I was reminded that it was Shareware, and not
>public domain. I played around with it for a short time, and found it,
>at least in terms of execution speed, very competetive with Borland
>and Microsoft compilers. It's code optimization isn't the best, but for the
>price, who can complain. Try FTPing simtel for it in the Modula-2 section.
>                                        _Pete Davis

The 1.3 version is old.  You can anonymous ftp the 2.0 version from our file
server:  turing.ctc.contel.com.  It is the files fstm2a.arc, fstm2b.arc,
fstm2c.arc and fstm2d.arc in the ./pub directory.  Don't forget to set the
type to binary (or somesuch) for 8-bit transfer.  Let me know if you have
problems.  (Pete - if you want to download it from a local bbs, try
generation 5 at 301-680-9300 or call me and I can upload it to your bbs.)

Tom.

Thomas F. Reid, Ph. D.                   (703)818-4505 (work)
Contel Technology Center                 (703)742-8720 (home)
15000 Conference Center Blvd.            Net: reid@ctc.contel.com
P.O. Box 10814
Chantilly, Va.  22021-3808

HJ647C@GWUVM.BITNET (Pete Davis) (02/23/90)

  Ok, I've gotten a lot of requests for FST Modula-2 2.0. So, here's
what I'm going to do. If you want a copy, please send a private message
directly to me at HJ647C@GWUVM. Next week, when I get back in town, I will
upload the file to my account and then send it out to all those who request
a copy.
                                            _Pete Davis