[comp.lang.modula2] Oberon and M2 similarity.

aubrey@rpp386.cactus.org (Aubrey McIntosh) (04/07/90)

I've just read Oberon's announcement in SP&E, and it seems that
one can craft programs that are correct in both languages.  I.e., there
is much more similarity between M2 and Oberon than, say, M2 and Pascal.

Has anyone tried this?  Does anyone outside Wirth's group have an
Oberon system?
--
Aubrey McIntosh  	"Find hungry samurai." -- The Old Man
1502 Devon Circle       comp.os.minix, comp.lang.modula2

lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) (04/10/90)

In article <18202@rpp386.cactus.org> aubrey@rpp386.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) writes:
>I've just read Oberon's announcement in SP&E, and it seems that
>one can craft programs that are correct in both languages.  I.e., there
>is much more similarity between M2 and Oberon than, say, M2 and Pascal.
>
>Has anyone tried this?  Does anyone outside Wirth's group have an
>Oberon system?
>--
>Aubrey McIntosh  	"Find hungry samurai." -- The Old Man
>1502 Devon Circle       comp.os.minix, comp.lang.modula2
>Austin, TX 78723
>1-(512)-452-1540  (v)

In the original Oberon report you can almost do this. One problem is in the
module headings. For Modula-2 we have:

DEFINITION MODULE foo;

for Oberon we have

DEFINITION foo;

so trying to pass off an Oberon module to a Modula-2 compiler doesn't work.
Otherwise, one would mostly be writing Oberon while avoiding use of the new
features of Oberon (e.g., type extension).

The intersection of Modula-2 and Oberon produces a language that is indeed
small, but perhaps not very useful.

--
Chuck Lins               | "Exit left to funway."
Apple Computer, Inc.     | Internet: lins@apple.com