[comp.lang.modula2] Standard libraries

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (05/13/88)

	I'm trying to implement the standard library modules from Appendix 2
of PIM2, 3rd ed., on a compiler who's libraries bear no resemblance to those
of PIM2.  Unfortunately, PIM2 doesn't fully document these libraries.  Could
someone point me to a reference with a more detailed explanation of these
standard library modules.

						Matt Seitz
						seitz@cory.berkeley.edu

unhd (Paul A. Sand) (05/01/90)

In article <4764.263A91B8@puddle.fidonet.org> George.Emery@p42.f369.n105.z1.fidonet.org (George Emery) writes:
>I'm thinking that there is a fundamental difference between libraries written
>for C and those for Modula-2.  C presumes an operating system that can handle
>forks and multiple processes -- Modula-2 doesn't.

That's simply nonsense. C presumes some things about so-called hosted
implementations, but that's not one of them.  For goodness sake, I had
a C compiler on my Apple II.  Where in the world do people get such
misinformation?
--
-- Paul A. Sand
-- University of New Hampshire

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (05/02/90)

In article <4764.263A91B8@puddle.fidonet.org> George.Emery@p42.f369.n105.z1.fidonet.org (George Emery) writes:

>I'm thinking that there is a fundamental difference between libraries written
>for C and those for Modula-2.  C presumes an operating system that can handle
>forks and multiple processes -- Modula-2 doesn't.

    Wait - did I miss something here?  Since when does C presume this?  I
thought Modula-2 was the only "mainstream" language with multiprocessing
support in the "standard" or "typical" libraries.  Don't just about all M2
compilers come with a "Processes" module, that can at least do some kind of
non-preemptive process control on single-threaded machines?  I didn't think
C had anything like this; is there any kind of process control in the ANSI
standard?

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (05/03/90)

pas@unhd.unh.edu.UUCP (Paul A. Sand) writes:
> George.Emery@p42.f369.n105.z1.fidonet.org (George Emery) writes:
>> I'm thinking that there is a fundamental difference between libraries written
>> for C and those for Modula-2.  C presumes an operating system that can handle
>> forks and multiple processes -- Modula-2 doesn't.
> That's simply nonsense. C presumes some things about so-called hosted
> implementations, but that's not one of them.  For goodness sake, I had
> a C compiler on my Apple II.  Where in the world do people get such
> misinformation?

And, while we're on the subject of Modula-2, the Modula-2 system I used on the
Apple ][ had coroutines and interrupts.
--
..!{uunet,qiclab,intelhf}!m2xenix!randy   randy@psg.com   randy@m2xenix.uucp