[comp.lang.modula2] B-Tree source wanted

patrick@actrix.co.nz (Pat Cain) (05/25/90)

In article <> Doug Kerr <doug@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <> patrick@actrix.co.nz (Pat Cain) writes:
>>I am in need of full source code to implement the B-tree data structure
>>in Modula 2.  Does anyone know where I can obtain this (preferably for
>>free).

>Me too.  My alternative is to interface to a C implementation that was
>posted to comp.sources.misc.

I've located some B-tree source in a book by Niklaus Wirth (?sp).  IT all
works fine, but may need to be altered for your application.
If you want a copy then e-mail me: cs200cap@st1.vuw.ac.nz  (don't reply
to this article as it costs me $$$ to receive mail at this address!).

I understand some source for B-trees was posted last year in this newsgroup
- does anyone still have a copy of this?
--
pat cain
e-mail:  snarky@st1.vuw.ac.nz  or  patrick@actrix.co.nz

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (05/28/90)

> patrick@actrix.co.nz writes:
> I am in need of full source code to implement the B-tree data structure
> in Modula 2.  Does anyone know where I can obtain this (preferably for
> free).  If so, please e-mail me at cs200cap@st1.vuw.ac.nz rather than
> replying to this article.

Actually, b+ tree sources (especially in M2) would be quite useful to others.
However, the one posted to comp.sources.misc is very large, is written in C,
and consists of several files...making it harder (but not impossible) to port
to M2.  However, I have some much more compact B+ tree source (alas, still in
C), which I hope to finish translating...probably August...you're not in a
hurry, are you ? :)

doug@bear.cis.ohio-state.edu (Doug Kerr) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May25.122659.23212@actrix.co.nz> patrick@actrix.co.nz (Pat Cain) writes:
> .  .  .
>I understand some source for B-trees was posted last year in this newsgroup
>- does anyone still have a copy of this?
>--

I don't know anything about Modula-2 sources for B-trees, but C
sources were posted to comp.sources.misc in January.  I've included
the header information below.

    Newsgroups: comp.sources.misc
    Subject: v10i027: B+tree library, part01 of 5
    Date: 20 Jan 90 01:19:23 GMT
    Sender: allbery@uunet.UU.NET

    Posting-number: Volume 10, Issue 27
    Submitted-by: mjr@umiacs.UMD.EDU (Marcus J. Ranum)
    Archive-name: b+tree_mjr/part01

	    This is the source code for a variable-length key variable
    page size b+tree library. Also included is source for a variety of
    test programs, a semi-useable record manager, and a dbm-lookalike
    library built on top of the record manager and b+tree. (dbm(3) will
    blow it away performance-wise, of course).

	    This software has been tested (and works) on the following:
    Pyramid/OSx, Sun4/SunOs, Sun3/SunOs, Digital Vax/BSD4.3,
    Digital DECstation3100/Ultrix

	    This software has been tested and found NOT to work on the
    following:
    SCO Xenix - I have no idea why because I don't have one

-=-
 Douglas S. Kerr, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 doug@cis.ohio-state.edu                    614/292-1519
 ...!{pyramid,killer}!osu-cis!cis.ohio-state.edu!doug

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (05/30/90)

There are some B-tree routines in Wirth's "Algorythms and Data Structures"
(second version, source code in M2 rather than P).  I converted them to C
and posted them to comp.sources.unix a few years back, but the originals
are still in the book :-)..
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>

Chris.Bolduc@f216.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Bolduc) (06/02/90)

     I do have B+ tree source code in M2, ready to run. It is not as a
library but rather as some kind of stand alone application. I had to do
this to test the algorithm before bringing the B+ tree algorithm one
step further in sofistication, but that part is mine to keep. The
regular routines I can post them on this BBS for you to request. This
will take a couple of weeks for me to dig it out of archive.

     Let me know if you are interested

                                             Chris

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!229!216!Chris.Bolduc
Internet: Chris.Bolduc@f216.n229.z1.fidonet.org