[comp.lang.modula2] Modula 2 / Microsoft Windows

wolniewi@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WOLNIEWICZ RICHARD HANSON) (06/06/90)

Does anyone know of a Modula-2 compiler which supports programming under
Microsoft Windows?  Specifically:

1) Does it support Windows 3.0 coding?
2) Does it provide a Windows environment for programming, or does one need to
go to a DOS prompt to code / compile / link?
3) Does it support all of the Windows facilities, like DDE, interface to the
print manager, etc?
4) How much does it cost?  Is there a student discount?

Thanks in advance.
 .    .    ______      Laboratory for Atmpospheric and Space Physics
 |   / \  (__  ._)     University of Colorado, Boulder
 |__/   \____) |       Richard Wolniewicz (wolniewi@tramp.colorado.edu)
                       Disclaimer: Only the opinions of a grad student (me)

GRANGERG@VTVM1.BITNET (Greg Granger) (06/06/90)

On Tue, 5 Jun 90 20:03:48 GMT WOLNIEWICZ RICHARD HANSON said:
>Does anyone know of a Modula-2 compiler which supports programming under
>Microsoft Windows?  Specifically:
>
>1) Does it support Windows 3.0 coding?
>2) Does it provide a Windows environment for programming, or does one need to
>go to a DOS prompt to code / compile / link?
>3) Does it support all of the Windows facilities, like DDE, interface to the
>print manager, etc?
>4) How much does it cost?  Is there a student discount?
>
>Thanks in advance.
> .    .    ______      Laboratory for Atmpospheric and Space Physics
> |   / \  (__  ._)     University of Colorado, Boulder
> |__/   \____) |       Richard Wolniewicz (wolniewi@tramp.colorado.edu)
>                       Disclaimer: Only the opinions of a grad student (me)

JPI TopSpeed Modula 2 (ver 2.0) will support windows, although I
haven't tried it with windows yet.  It has a windows module that
interfaces to windows and compiler pragmas to generate the proper
prolog and epilog (sp?) code.  TS M2 also supports DLL under
windows, DOS and OS2 (o' course).
As to you questions
1) ?? Don't know, I suspect it depends on how different Win 3.0 is
   from Win 2.xx (in all it's various forms).
2) It doesn't provide a windows specific environment, but may run
   under windows as a text based application. (again, sorry but
   I haven't tried it under windows).
3) See above, I'm not sure about the DDE's.
4) Yes there is a student discount available, but still it's kind'a
   expensive (for students), the DOS Extended Edition is 237.00
   for OS/2 297.00.  There version 1.17 compiler is available to
   to students for 50.00, but it's doesn't support windows, still
   it's a nice package, for someone interested in the language.

JPI has a toll free number 1-800-543-5202.

Greg

In article <INFO-M2%90060610401638@UCF1VM.BITNET> Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@PSUVM.PSU.EDU> writes:
>>Does anyone know of a Modula-2 compiler which supports programming under
>>Microsoft Windows?  Specifically:
>>
>>1) Does it support Windows 3.0 coding?
>
>JPI TopSpeed Modula 2 (ver 2.0) will support windows, although I
>As to you questions
>1) ?? Don't know, I suspect it depends on how different Win 3.0 is
>   from Win 2.xx (in all it's various forms).

Thanks for the info.  My understanding of the differences between Windows 3.0
and the previous versions is that Windows 3.0 requires code to be 'well
behaved,' which I think means it can't do segmented arithmetic (although I'm
not sure on this).  Presumably something in the file header indicates for
which version of Windows the code is written.  Does anyone know if the JPI
compiler is written to Windows 3.0 standards?

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (06/07/90)

In article <21905@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wolniewi@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WOLNIEWICZ RICHARD HANSEN) writes:

>Does anyone know of a Modula-2 compiler which supports programming under
>Microsoft Windows?  Specifically:
	Yes, Stony Brook's Professional Modula-2 ($295) includes support for
	both Windows and OS/2 in one package at one price.  It is a very fast
	compiler both in compilation speed and in the code generated.

>1) Does it support Windows 3.0 coding?
	There should not be any difference between Windows 3.0 and other
	versions of Windows as far as generating code is concerned.

>2) Does it provide a Windows environment for programming, or does one need to
>go to a DOS prompt to code / compile / link?
	I do not know of any compiler which does this at this time (except
	Actor).  However, the intergrated environment does automatically
	run Windows when you execute the program.  This is one step ahead
	of anything anyone else has done as of this time.

>3) Does it support all of the Windows facilities, like DDE, interface to the
>print manager, etc?
	Yes, you can write DDLs and use all of the Window calls.

>4) How much does it cost?  Is there a student discount?
	The package is $295 list and includes versions for both OS/2 and DOS.
	I do not know if they have a student discount.
	You will still need the Windows Software Development Kit.

	The address for Stony Brook Software is:
			187 East Wilbur Road
			Suite 9
			Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
			1-800-624-7487

	I used this compiler to write an article for _Computer Language_ on
	Modula2 programming for Windows.  Check out the March 1990 issue of
	the magazine.

	I have no affilation with the Stony Brook Software Company.

>Thanks in advance.
	No problem.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----