[comp.lang.modula2] Logitech VS JPI

MSJLE@ECNCDC.BITNET (Sarah Jane) (06/13/90)

If you're comparing the two for educational purposes, here is one point
to keep in mind:  The Logitech compiler WIU has for student use will not run
on a PC which is also connected to a LAN, it conflicts somehow with the LAN
software.  Topspeed, on the other had, is the main tool we use for writing
Novell utilities!  If you use LANS at your school, go for Topspeed.

Another minor point:  It is quite easy for students to move from Turbo Pascal
to JPI as the editors and general layout are similiar.  Moving to Logitech
isn't as easy.

JPI's Tutorial Manual is a condensed (and JPI specific) version of the
text (nuts, its at the office) WIU uses for teaching Modula and makes a nice
companion to the text for the JPI libraries.

Joi Ellis
msjle@ecncdc
SRP - WIU

dwa@sdacs.ucsd.edu (Don Anderson) (06/13/90)

In article <INFO-M2%90061308092490@UCF1VM.BITNET>, MSJLE@ECNCDC.BITNET (Sarah Jane) writes:
> If you're comparing the two for educational purposes, here is one point
> to keep in mind:  The Logitech compiler WIU has for student use will not run
> on a PC which is also connected to a LAN, it conflicts somehow with the LAN
> software.  Topspeed, on the other had, is the main tool we use for writing
> Novell utilities!  If you use LANS at your school, go for Topspeed.

  We use Logitech's compiler on PC's attached to a LAN. This is a TCP/IP
  based LAN, where the PC's run SUN's PC-NFS and the student's files are
  maintained on a UNIX server (which means that students can log in from
  home and edit, even if they can't compile on the server). The NFS
  device driver uses too much memory to allow the use of the "Point"
  editor, but otherwise the students are quite happy with this setup.
  We have them use the MKS "vi" editor on the PC. On our campus, Novell
  LANS are confined to the administration, so we academics have no
  experience with them. Guess that what is best depends on your
  circumstances.

... stuff deleted ...

> Joi Ellis
> msjle@ecncdc
> SRP - WIU

DUG@CZHETH5A.BITNET (06/28/90)

Comment: Mail not returnable through this path, use the list address

Author: AEOLUS::NOTES9B "Wehrli Christoph"
Topic 965.1
Time: 27-JUN-1990 18:26 ZRH

    -< Better still >-

    If you are fond of PMD, you *should* have a look at RTD, it saves
    you a lot, if not all, of those HALT statements. Especially since
    the new version 3.4 with breakpoint and decode windows, it has be-
    come a really nifty tool. I used it since about one year (beta ver-
    sion) and would not miss it.
    chwehrli@czheth1a.bitnet.