[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V9 #13

Ward%USC-ISIF@sri-unix.UUCP (01/20/84)

From:  Craig E. Ward <Ward at USC-ISIF>

    Date: 10 Jan 84 20:00:02-PST (Tue)
    From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!parsec!ctvax!uokvax!andree @ Ucb-Vax
    Subject: Re: Elfstones - (nf)

    The Sword of Shannara was obviously a narrative put to a D&D
    adventure.

    Is the sequel the same sort of thing?

    --Dick Wexelblat

Even Lord of the Rings can be viewed as a "narrative put to a D&D adventure".
That in itself detracts from neither the quality of the narrative nor of the
story.

While I enjoyed Sword of Shannara I did not buy Elfstones of Shannara
when it first came out as a trade paperback.  I waited another two years
for it come out as a mass market paperback.  After reading Elfstones
I just may buy Terry Brooks' next work as a trade paperback.  Elfstones is
better than Sword, both in characterization and story.

		Craig