[comp.lang.modula2] TopSpeed Modula V2

Urs.Graf@f50.n300.z2.fidonet.org (Urs Graf) (07/03/90)

How are your experiences with the new JPI version?
Is it a good idea to do the upgrade?
best regards
Urs

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!300!50!Urs.Graf
Internet: Urs.Graf@f50.n300.z2.fidonet.org

Mikael.Wahlgren@p5.f302.n203.z2.fidonet.org (Mikael Wahlgren) (07/05/90)

 UG>How are your experiences with the new JPI version?
 UG>Is it a good idea to do the upgrade?

    Well, I requested a free upgrade in May, but got the wrong version of both the compiler and documentation.  After complaining, I got the correct version of the compiler, but still have the wrong version of the documentation.

    I have tried to compile a program with the new JPI compiler, but I get a "Dynamic pool limit exceeded" when the compiler tries to optimize the code.  When I turn off all optimizing, the code will be compiled, but every time I get a TRAP-error when running the program.  The program compiles and runs perfectly well with the previous compiler.

    The new version does not seem to be quite ready at this point...

                 / Mvh / Mikael Wahlgren

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!203!302.5!Mikael.Wahlgren
Internet: Mikael.Wahlgren@p5.f302.n203.z2.fidonet.org

Dominique.Willems@p4610.f46.n295.z2.fidonet.org (Dominique Willems) (07/09/90)

 > How are your experiences with the new JPI version?

Eh, well, on the overall, it's not bad at all, at least the ideas behind it
are great. The Object Oriented extension is a great improvement.
But the library modules delivered with the package are a lot more "C-ish"
now, and I doubt if this benefits Modula-2. Although, there are quite a few
extensions to their library, for practically every module.
My .EXE files grew A LOT larger with the new compiler, but this doesn't
mean the size of the programmes in the TPA is larger, on the contrary, with
all the optimization options you can gain quite some space compared to the
older compiler. The large size of the .EXE files is simply due to the fact
that their linker doesn't pack the uninitialized data anymore, like C, they
say. But if you have the EXEPACK programme that's delivered with the
Microsoft Assembler, you can pack the files without any problems. They will
bring out a "Modula-2 EXE file packer" themselves shortly.

The Storage module has undergone some changes (additions) too, though this
doesn't always add to the clarity of the whole memory allocation system.
This is mainly because of the newly introduced Memory Models. You can have
them in all sorts and sizes, just as with any C-compiler nowadays.

The environment is great, with all the utilities you need, 9 editing
windows, macro capability, automatic language detection during compilation
among other nicies.

The documentation has not improved (on the contrary). But new documentation
is under way, it seems.

 > Is it a good idea to do the upgrade?

Well, I think this package is a very complete one, with a very powerful
compiler, and certainly worth the upgrade.
But, just not yet, wait for another month (or two) until they bring out the
next release (the one after 1.04b). The release I have, is a weird one,
plenty of bugs all over the place I'm afraid. The release of new documentation
is also worth the wait, I think.
When you take this package, purge it of all its bugs and add realistic
documentation, you've got yourself a very powerful development tool.

So, if I were in your shoes, I'd hang in there with my older version until
all the child's diseases have left V2.

Regards,
Dominique

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!295!46.4610!Dominique.Willems
Internet: Dominique.Willems@p4610.f46.n295.z2.fidonet.org

Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Peter M. Perchansky) (07/09/90)

Hello Urs:

In a msg dated 02 Jul 90 17:55:36, Urs Graf said:
**********************BEGIN QUOTE*****************************

 How are your experiences with the new JPI version?
 Is it a good idea to do the upgrade?
 best regards
 Urs
***********************END QUOTE******************************

    That's a hard call, Urs.

    I've upgraded to 2.00 release 1.04.  The new features are definately an improvement, but there documentation has a lot of bugs in it; there are several bugs in the libraries.

    Neils Jenson publically stated that new documentation by professionals is in the works, and the developers are working on a bug fix (release 1.05) for 2.00.

    The major extension added are more OOP features (CLASSes, multiple inheritance, and methods).

 === Peter

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!273!101!Peter.M..Perchansky
Internet: Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org

zerr@cat22.cs.wisc.edu (Troy Zerr) (07/12/90)

In article <1389.2699ECBD@puddle.fidonet.org> Urs.Graf@f50.n300.z2.fidonet.org (Urs Graf) writes:
>How are your experiences with the new JPI version?
>Is it a good idea to do the upgrade?

     Depends.  If you need to interface your m2 and C code, or if
you have a real need for inline procedures, it may be worthwhile
to upgrade your system.

     However, if you don't need the 'advanced' features, or if you
write all your code to be machine-independent anyway,  there is
no real reason to upgrade yet.  The code generator is slower,
(although it does seem to create faster code)
the new memory models aren't really necessary, and the libraries need
some additional debugging.

In any case, you may want to wait a few months for some of the bugs to
disappear.

- Troy Zerr
zerr@math.wisc.edu