[comp.lang.modula2] TopSpeed C

ODX@PSUVM.BITNET (Tim Larson) (10/13/89)

<Taking a deep breath ... Donning flame-retardant gear ;->

Has anyone had any experience yet with TopSpeed C?  Anybody seen any reviews,
used a beta version, etc.?  I know this is a bit early, but I must say that
JPI's involvement with the dreaded language has sparked my interest.  Why?
Well, the promise of seamless integration with TopSpeed M2 (my language of
choice) coupled with the sudden access to *lots* of C libraries available
and the feeling that maybe I haven't been left out in the cold, to name a few.

<Sweat beading on my brow ... >

I'm not trying to start a war; just curious (like the cat that got killed!-)

-Tim Larson
odx@psuvm.bitnet

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (10/17/89)

	Nobody who was involved with the beta test can comment, because
they signed a non-disclosure agreement with JPI.

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/25/90)

Jensen & Partners made a big deal about how the editor, debugger, and even
parts of the libraries are shared among their languages.

Now they send out an offer to pick up TopSpeed C at a discount of a measly
20%. While I'm tempted to look at their C (although I'd really rather wait
for their C++), with so much shared code I feel that 20% off is very skimpy.

Now my question -- does anybody have both products (Modula-2 V2, and C)?
In particular, would it be possible to buy just the "Standard Edition" of
C, and have all of the advantages of "Extended Edition" (DDL, profiler)
except for the source code?

=========================

Obligatory bug report:

I converted a program (from V1.??) that had the following line:

cmdlen := Str.Length(Lib.CommandLine);

I compiled the program using Small memory model, it compiled without error,
and of course didn't run because Lib.CommandLine is a "far" array. This
should have caused a compilation error. (BTW, I fixed the problem by replacing
the line with a loop that looked for the end of the commandline string.
That worked just fine since indexing the far array works.)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (07/26/90)

In article <7869@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>Jensen & Partners made a big deal about how the editor, debugger, and even
>parts of the libraries are shared among their languages.
>
>Now they send out an offer to pick up TopSpeed C at a discount of a measly
>20%. While I'm tempted to look at their C (although I'd really rather wait
>for their C++), with so much shared code I feel that 20% off is very skimpy.

    They're offering a discount now?  Dang!  I bought the extended edition
of the C compiler, and later the standard edition of Modula-2.  I called
and asked about discounts then, but they said they'd decided against them.
(I couldn't complain much, because my lab paid for the C and I got the M2
at the educational price anyway).

>Now my question -- does anybody have both products (Modula-2 V2, and C)?
>In particular, would it be possible to buy just the "Standard Edition" of
>C, and have all of the advantages of "Extended Edition" (DDL, profiler)
>except for the source code?

    I think all I am missing is the M2 source files; all the other C
extended edition utilities will work with M2.  The other way around (std
C and ext M2) should be the same.  The overlap is nice, because the C
extended edition includes free updates to the system for a year - and
any improvements to the environment or code generator will help M2 as
well.  They really should give discounts for getting more than one
compiler, or more than one extended edition.  They could probably get
a lot of business that way, from people who see a chance to pick up
another language cheaply.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

Thomas.Coleman@f70.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Thomas Coleman) (07/27/90)

In an article of <25 Jul 90 15:47:55 GMT>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy)
writes:

 >Jensen & Partners made a big deal about how the editor, debugger, and
 >even
 >parts of the libraries are shared among their languages.
 >
 >Now they send out an offer to pick up TopSpeed C at a discount of a
 >measly 20%....
 >with so much shared code I feel that 20% off is very
 >skimpy.

Yes, I agree.  VERY skimpy.

 >Now my question -- does anybody have both products (Modula-2 V2, and C)?
 >In particular, would it be possible to buy just the "Standard Edition" of
 >C, and have all of the advantages of "Extended Edition" (DDL, profiler)
 >except for the source code?

I don't have Topspeed C, but I asked JPI the same thing.  They tell me that I
if I want the advantages of Extended Edition, I need to buy the extended
edition.  (Not what I wanted to hear!).

Thomas

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!70!Thomas.Coleman
Internet: Thomas.Coleman@f70.n105.z1.fidonet.org