[comp.lang.modula2] MacOberon Help ?

ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/15/90)

If anyone has any hints or advice on using MacOberon, I'd like to
hear them.  I am fiddling with it, but I don't seem to be getting
far.  Is there some way to dump files to normal text files for
printing ?  Perhaps a way to print within MacOberon ?

Thanks,

Eric W. Sink

lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) (08/15/90)

In article <49200001@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>If anyone has any hints or advice on using MacOberon, I'd like to
>hear them.  I am fiddling with it, but I don't seem to be getting
>far.  Is there some way to dump files to normal text files for
>printing ?  Perhaps a way to print within MacOberon ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Eric W. Sink

Since your specific question relates to printing I'll address that. The 1.0
version couldn't print. I believe 1.1 does by producing a postscript file.
There's an MPW tool called DumpPS which dumps a postscript file to a printer.

If you want to print using your favorite editor or whatever, change the file
type to TEXT. Then your editor can open it. Delete all characters from the
start of the file preceeding the word MODULE. MacOberon puts size info and other
stuff here. This must be removed (forcing it to redetermine the file's size)
otherwise you can't really make changes to it from outside of Oberon.

Now for the hints :-)
Personally, I continue to use MPW for all my editing. The facilities in MPW
for search and replacement are so much more powerful than those in the current
release of MacOberon that I only use MacOberon's editor if I have to make
a small change from a syntax error. Anything more than 3 syntax errors and it's
back to MPW for me! Now of course, I have a 5MB Mac II and so run MultiFinder
all the time. :-)

Be prepared to run into artifical limits in the compiler if you try to do
serious work (e.g., 40 exported procedures - QuickDraw has more than that!;
64 global pointers in a module, etc.). So far I've been able to workaround all
of them but I think the code would have been cleaner if I didn't have to in
the first place. Oh, btw, the Ceres compiler has these same limits.

--
Chuck Lins               | "Is this the kind of work you'd like to do?"
Apple Computer, Inc.     | -- Front 242

aubrey@rpp386.cactus.org (Aubrey McIntosh) (08/18/90)

What is the header structure in a MacOberon file?

--
Aubrey McIntosh  	"Find hungry samurai." -- The Old Man
1502 Devon Circle       comp.os.minix, comp.lang.modula2

mfranz@ethz.UUCP (Michael Franz) (08/20/90)

Structure of an Oberon Text File

  Text = '0F001H' off run {run} 0 len {AsciiCode}.
  run = fnt [name] col voff len.

The header can be cut off, leaving you with an unformatted plain
ASCII file.

-- Michael.

Michael Franz   Computersysteme   ETH Zurich   Switzerland
franz@inf.ethz.ch