[comp.lang.modula2] Free Modula-2 Compilers

thssgkt@iitmax.IIT.EDU (George Thiruvathukal) (08/10/90)

If anyone out there knows of an ftp site which has a public domain Modula-2
compiler, please post it on the net or send mail to the address below.
--

 George K. Thiruvathukal

 Illinois Institute of Technology         Argonne National Laboratory
 Chicago, IL 60616                        Argonne, IL 60439

 thssgkt@iitmax.iit.edu                   gkt@athens.ees.anl.gov
 thirgeo@iitvax.bitnet

 "The cause of all world problems: E = mc^2."

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (08/14/90)

In <4094@iitmax.IIT.EDU> thssgkt@iitmax.IIT.EDU (George Thiruvathukal) writes:

>If anyone out there knows of an ftp site which has a public domain Modula-2
>compiler, please post it on the net or send mail to the address below.

Please post!

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixbur.uucp	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

ajl3578@ultb.isc.rit.edu (A.J. Leccese) (08/28/90)

Try mtsg.ubc.ca. (128.189.103.1). I've downloaded it a while back but I never
really tried it out. I hope this is of help.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

E-mail ajl3578@ultb.isc.rit.edu      "It's nice to be important, but
BITNET ajl3578@RITVAXA		      more important to be nice" -Br. W.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

thssgkt@iitmax.IIT.EDU (George Thiruvathukal) (08/31/90)

Thanks to all who responded with information pertaining to free Modula-2
compilers.  Among the numerous responses were two compilers which proved to
be worthwhile implementations of the Modula-2 languages as defined in Wirth's
Programming in Modula-2, 3rd Edition:

   Fitted Software Tools Modula-2 for the IBM PC Version 2.0
   DEC Modula-2 for Ultrix-based Computers

Fitted Software Tools Modula-2 for the IBM PC is available via anonymous FTP
from wsmr-simtel20.arpa in subdirectory pd1:<msdos.modula2>.

DEC Modula-2 for Ultrix is available via anonymous FTP from gatekeeper.dec.com
in subdirectory pub/DEC/Modula-2.  Incidentally, a Modula-3 compiler is also
available for Ultrix is subdirectory pub/DEC/Modula-3.

I failed to mention the environments in which the free compilers were needed.
The two desired environments are IBM Personal Computers and BSD Unix 4.2-4.3
Systems.  The BSD Unix 4.3 system we use at my institution is the Encore
Multimax (which runs UMAX 4.3).  We have an old version of the ETH/IIT
compiler.

Once again, thanks to all who informed me about free Modula-2 compilers.  If
anyone out there is a PC programmer, I would highly recommend the Fitted
Software Tools Modula-2 compiler.  It is one of the best pieces of free
software I have seen.  For commercial purposes, however, one might desire the
TopSpeed Modula-2 optimizing compiler.

--

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (09/01/90)

In article <4179@iitmax.IIT.EDU> thssgkt@iitmax.IIT.EDU (George Thiruvathukal) writes:

>Once again, thanks to all who informed me about free Modula-2 compilers.  If
>anyone out there is a PC programmer, I would highly recommend the Fitted
>Software Tools Modula-2 compiler.  It is one of the best pieces of free
>software I have seen.  For commercial purposes, however, one might desire the
>TopSpeed Modula-2 optimizing compiler.
I don't want to get too fussy about this, but the DEC compiler is free.
The Fitted Software Tools system is SHAREWARE. It is NOT free. Roger Carvalho
has done a terrific job on this system, and keeps it up to date. He deserves
the shareware fee that he asks for - somwhere in the neighborhood of $30-40.
Well worth it. Please - if you are going to use a shareware system, pay up.
(I have no connection with FST - I just think we oughta help them survive!)
Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
202-994-5253