[comp.lang.modula2] Programming Questions!

a1157@mindlink.UUCP (Reece Markowsky) (09/17/90)

Modula II is a lot like pascal in its constructs. It does, however, have
stronger typing.  In pascal you have used UNITS (correct?) well in modula II,
the INTERFACE is put in what is called a DEFINITION MODULE, and the
IMPLEMENTATION is placed correspondingly in a IMPLEMENTATION MODULE.  I like
this and think it better exemplifies the idea of
"information hiding".... ie... can you really say that pascal supports
information hiding when you can scroll down 10 lines to see its
implementation!!!
A good book?
well how about a pair of them...

for the technical stuff pick up "Introduction to Programming using Modula-2" by
Richard J. Sutcliffe
Merrill Publishing Company ISBN 0-675-20754-1

to accompany this is another great book actually used as a text book in
computing 201 in Simon Fraser University
"A Second Course In Computer Science With Modula-2"
By William I. Salmon and Daniel D. McCracken
John Wiley & Sons Pub. Co.    isbn 0-471-63111-6

hope this helps you.
Reece Markowsky
Computing Science
Simon Fraser University.

JMODONNE@OWUCOMCN.BITNET (Ex Nemo Non Fesces) (09/17/90)

Hello,

I am a new subscriber and I have a few questions.  I do not presently know
the Modula2 language, however I am told that it is similar to Pascal and was
also written by Wirth.  Being a typical programmer I tend to avoid reading
DOC's manuals.  I would like to have any suggestions however on a good
reference book for M2.  So if there is anyone interested in helping a
M2 illiteratewould you please send me some suggestions?

Thank you, in advance.

Jason Matthew O'Donnell
Computer Science and Philosophy
Ohio Wesleyan University

albert (Pat Speer) (09/18/90)

> DOC's manuals.  I would like to have any suggestions however on a good
> reference book for M2.  So if there is anyone interested in helping a
> M2 illiteratewould you please send me some suggestions?

You might take a look at the following:

Modula-2 Made Easy - Schildt - McGraw-Hill
Modula-2 A Seafarers Manual and Shipyard Guide - Joyce - Addison Wesley

They are both quite good. M2 Made Easy is written more for the beginning
programmer while A Seafarers Manual is a little more in depth. You may
also want to take a look at Wirth's book. Hope this helps.

spencer@UUNET.UU.NET (Spencer Fine) (09/19/90)

I work for a NY bank, and we've been using Modula2 as a production
quality language for 8 years.  It's hard to beat among procedural
programming languages.  The books we use for teaching new employees
are:
     (1) Programming in Modula-2
            Niklaus Wirth, Springer-Verlag

     (2) Modula-2 for Pascal Programmers
            Richard Gleaves, Springer-Verlag

     (3) Modula-2: A Software Development Approach
            Gary A. Ford + Richard S. Wiener, John Wiley & Sons

(1) is very terse (surprise, surprise), but quite well written.
(2) is not very well written, but contains some crutches for
    Pascal converts.
(3) is the book we use most often.  It is much longer than the
    other two, but offers clearer motivation and exposition of topics.

Let me know if I can help you further.
--
        Spencer A. Fine           domain: spencer@bony1.bony.com
        Bank of New York          uucp  : spencer@bony1.UUCP

chris@sarah.lerc.nasa.gov (Chris Johnston) (09/19/90)

"Modula-2: A Complete Guide"
K. N. King
D. C. Heath and Company
College Division
125 Spring Street
Lexington, Mass. 02173
1988
656 pages  ~$21.00

 BUY IT!

Chris

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (09/19/90)

>/ hpclapd:comp.lang.modula2 / a1157@mindlink.UUCP (Reece Markowsky) /  5:45 pm  Sep 16, 1990 /
>Modula II is a lot like pascal in its constructs. It does, however, have
>stronger typing.  In pascal you have used UNITS (correct?) well in modula II,
>the INTERFACE is put in what is called a DEFINITION MODULE, and the
>IMPLEMENTATION is placed correspondingly in a IMPLEMENTATION MODULE.  I like
>this and think it better exemplifies the idea of

>"information hiding".... ie... can you really say that pascal supports
>information hiding when you can scroll down 10 lines to see its
>implementation!!!

I agree  that  I  like Modula 2's   implementation of seperate  compilation
better than Pascal's.  Obviously  this  was added on  to Pascal.  What I've
seen done  to hide the IMPLEMENTATION is   to contain  it in  include files
and then not distribute the include files so you have something like:

Unit FOO;

Interface

Const
   Exported_Constant = 'BAR';

   Procedure FOO_BAR (Input_Parm : Integer; Output_Parm : Real);

Implementation
{$I INCLUDE\FOO.PAS}

End.

uskmg@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Guyton {EUCC}) (09/20/90)

In article <HH1oP1w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> albert (Pat Speer) writes:
>> DOC's manuals.  I would like to have any suggestions however on a good
>> reference book for M2.  So if there is anyone interested in helping a
>> M2 illiteratewould you please send me some suggestions?

I use...

MODULA-2 by Beidler and Jackowitz, PWS, 1986.
ISBN 0-87150-912-1
347 pages.

Good index, syntax diagrams, reasonable programming examples, very
pleasant typesetting.

--
Ken Guyton          | uskmg@unix.cc.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | ...gatech!emoryu1!uskmg          UUCP

pbye@UB.D.UMN.EDU (peter bye) (09/24/90)

In article <INFO-M2%90091711095359@UCF1VM.BITNET> you write:
>Hello,
>
>I am a new subscriber and I have a few questions.  I do not presently know
>the Modula2 language, however I am told that it is similar to Pascal and was
>also written by Wirth.  Being a typical programmer I tend to avoid reading
>DOC's manuals.  I would like to have any suggestions however on a good
>reference book for M2.  So if there is anyone interested in helping a
>M2 illiteratewould you please send me some suggestions?
>
>Thank you, in advance.
>
>Jason Matthew O'Donnell
>Computer Science and Philosophy
>Ohio Wesleyan University

I personally use Logitechs Modula-2 system, along with a few ad-ons from a
company called PMI (really good stuff).  I would recommend looking for a book
at your usual book store, pick up any Mod-2 book and see what compiler it
uses (supports).  Some are very generic and would be difficult to use if it
does not match the syntax of the text you are using.  I think a book called
"The Sea Farers Guide to Modula-2 is a book good for beginners and acts as a
nice crowbar if you are moving from pascal.

Any specific questions just send to;
Peter Bye
E-Mail: pbye@ub.d.umn.edu
	pbye2madonna.d.umn.edu