[comp.lang.modula2] Modula compiler for SGI IRIS

arnold@freezer.it.udel.edu (frederick arnold) (09/22/90)

Greetings.  Since I saw a recent request for modula info, I guess this
is the time to ask these questions:

1) I have the modula-2 compiler (MIPS back-end) from
gatekeeper.dec.com.  Does anybody have suggestions about getting the
front end to work properly on an SGI Iris (mips risc chip based), or
is this something that if I'm successful in making it work, post the
results here?

2) I saw the far larger Modula-3 directory.  Does anyone know what the diffs
are that make it take up 5meg as opposed to the 1/2 meg modula-2 two
files?  Is it a better compiler, or just more documentation.
Referring back to the first question, is there any more complete
documentation on that compiler than the rather spotty release notes
that came with it?

3) failing the workings of either 1 or 2, does anyone have the
location of a good pd Modula-2 compiler that would run on an SGI Iris,
running Irix 3.2.2 (sysV variant, with Berzerkly 4.2 extensions).

These questions arise because I need these for a programming class, as
well as some personal work, and would like an alternative from the c
and fortran compilers available.

Thank you for your time.
					-fred

* Wenn die wirkliche Brandstifter                      Frederick P. Arnold, Jr*
* w\"aren, du meinst, die h\"atten                     Dept of Chemistry,     *
* keine Streichh\"olzer?                               University of Delaware *
*      -Gottlieb Biedermann                                                   *
*      Biedermann und die Brandstifter              ARNOLD@FREEZER.IT.UDEL.EDU*

rnews@qut.edu.au (10/01/90)

In article <31227@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, arnold@freezer.it.udel.edu (frederick arnold) writes:
> 2) I saw the far larger Modula-3 directory.  Does anyone know what the diffs
> are that make it take up 5meg as opposed to the 1/2 meg modula-2 two
> files?  Is it a better compiler, or just more documentation.
> Referring back to the first question, is there any more complete
> documentation on that compiler than the rather spotty release notes
> that came with it?

Modula-3 is quite different to Modula-2, it is an Object Oriented extension
to another extension to M2.  Talk to the people at DEC for the M3 Report
if you want more info.

> 3) failing the workings of either 1 or 2, does anyone have the
> location of a good pd Modula-2 compiler that would run on an SGI Iris,
> running Irix 3.2.2 (sysV variant, with Berzerkly 4.2 extensions).

No, but we can sell you a good optimizing one if you want :-).

Au revoir,

@~~Richard Thomas  aka. The AppleByter  --  The Misplaced Canadian~~~~~~~~~~~@
{ InterNet: R_Thomas@qut.edu.au           ACSNet:  richard@earth.qitcs.oz.au }
{ PSI:      PSI%505272223015::R_Thomas                                       }
@~~~~~School of Computing Science - Queensland University of Technology~~~~~~@