[comp.lang.modula2] Oberon-Compiler

Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org (Andreas Gutzwiller) (09/20/90)

Kennt jemand einen guten (billigen) Oberon-Compiler fuer den Amiga????

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!302!810.6!Andreas.Gutzwiller
Internet: Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org

salas-m@plains.NoDak.edu (Juan Salas) (09/28/90)

	If that means that he is looking for an Oberon compiler
may you post where it can be reached..

thanks

juan pablo

cs2531ap@hydra.unm.edu (Student Class Account) (09/29/90)

  The only Oberon compilers I know of are the ETH compiler for MacII and
   Sparc.  Though in the documentation says that source code is available.

marcb@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Marc Brandis) (09/29/90)

> 	If that means that he is looking for an Oberon compiler
> may you post where it can be reached..
>
> thanks
>
> juan pablo
> ----------

I do not understanding this posting. However, if it means that you
are looking for an Oberon compiler, then you may look at ETH.

As far as I know, ETH is the only supplier of Oberon compilers up
to now. Besides the original Oberon compiler and system for the
Ceres workstations, there are versions for SPARC-workstations and
for the Apple MacIntosh II. Some more ports are in the works, but
a port to the Amiga is very unlikely to occur.

Both the SPARC-version and the Mac-version are available through
anonymous ftp. I do not remember the internet addresses, so if you
are interested, mail to templ@inf.ethz.ch for the SPARC system and
to franz@inf.ethz.ch for the Mac system.

(* I speak only for myself.
	Marc-Michael Brandis
	Institut fuer Computersysteme
	ETH Zentrum
	CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland
	e-mail: brandis@inf.ethz.ch
		brandis@iis.ethz.ch
   Temporarily at HP, marcb@hp-ptp.ptp.hp.com
*)

brown@max.physics.sunysb.edu (C. Titus Brown) (09/29/90)

In article <52.26FF07D1@puddle.fidonet.org> Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org (Andreas Gutzwiller) writes:
>Kennt jemand einen guten (billigen) Oberon-Compiler fuer den Amiga????
>

>--
>uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!302!810.6!Andreas.Gutzwiller
>Internet: Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org

For those who do not understand German,

Does anyone know of a good & cheap Oberon compiler for the Amiga?

(Please mail to me too, I am also interested...)

brown@max.physics.sunysb.edu

kohler@urz.unibas.ch (10/01/90)

>> 	If that means that he is looking for an Oberon compiler
>> may you post where it can be reached..
>
> a port to the Amiga is very unlikely to occur.

It is my understanding that an Oberon compiler for the Amiga (tm) is
presented at the 2nd Amiga Expo held this fall. I have known that the
people that made M2Amiga (Interface Technologies in US) have been working
on a new compiler for quite some time now.
Tentative price : 340 SFr ($250), not sure about that.
Is that "a good and cheap" offer ?
                                       D. Kohler
                                       Institute of Physics
                                       University of Basel Switzerland

tensi@informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) (10/02/90)

In article <52.26FF07D1@puddle.fidonet.org> Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org (Andreas Gutzwiller) writes:

>   Kennt jemand einen guten (billigen) Oberon-Compiler fuer den Amiga????

(Does somebody know a good (cheap) Oberon compiler for the amiga? )

There is a demo version of an Amiga oberon compiler on the AMOK disk #36.

AMOK is the "Amiga Modula and Oberon Klub" in Stuttgart, Germany. One of the
guys, Frithjof Siebert (hope I didn't spell him too wrong), wrote the oberon
compiler (or did he port it from the ETH version?) and added Amiga-specific
libraries.

The compiler seems to support full oberon, except that the run time system
doesn't do garbage collection. What I don't know is, whether the feature of
selectively calling "commands" from any module is supported or not (I don't
think so, because when linking you have to specify the main module...)

There are some quirks with the demo version: It doesn't run on mondays, it
doesn't run the 10th, 12th, 14th ... time started and the code length and the
size of string space is limited per module and I think you always have to click
a requester to start it (no real batch mode).

The full compiler will be available from the A&L AG in Grenchen, Switzerland,
who are the ones, who also distribute the M2Amiga compiler for the Amiga in
Europe.

Announced date of delivery (in Europe): October 1990.
    Price given (in a German magazine): 340,-DM (that's about 200$).

Thomas Tensi, Institut fuer Informatik, Technische Univ. Muenchen,
Arcisstr. 21, 8000 Muenchen 2, Germany

marcb@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Marc Brandis) (10/03/90)

> One of the
> guys, Frithjof Siebert (hope I didn't spell him too wrong), wrote the oberon
> compiler (or did he port it from the ETH version?) and added Amiga-specific
> libraries.

The compiler is not derived from the ETH compiler.