[comp.lang.modula2] MODULA-2

Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Armando Ortiz) (05/25/90)

Modula-2 is a programming language right?, so what is it like?, like
what does it compare to?,  thank you..
                                            -Armando

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!601.0!Armando.Ortiz
Internet: Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Peter M. Perchansky) (05/28/90)

Hello Armando:

    Modula-2 closely resembles Pascal (both were created by N. Wirth).

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!273!101!Peter.M..Perchansky
Internet: Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Armando Ortiz) (06/01/90)

So is Modula-2 an older programming language?, i'v only heard of it here,
the reason i talk about pascal is that it is said to be one of the
easier languages to learn from, but i dunno..., what do you think of
turbo-C?, what is that like?, i was thinking its similar to C but more
advanced in its size...   thanks...
   Armando

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!601.0!Armando.Ortiz
Internet: Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Armando Ortiz) (06/09/90)

So where would i start if i wanted to learn?, i'm rather ambitious to
see what it is like, is there a good book on this Modula-2, if you have
any names please do so and reply, thanks...
                        --- Armando

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!601.0!Armando.Ortiz
Internet: Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org

Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Peter M. Perchansky) (06/11/90)

Hello Armando:

    K. N. King has a very good book, "Modula-2:  A Complete Reference."  I use that book most of the time.  Another good books is "Advanced Modula-2 Programming" by Herb Schildt (spelling?).

    Pat Terry (who is on this echo regularly) also has an excellent book (though I am embarassed for forgetting the name).

    A good place to start learning is either to download FST Modula-2 2.
xx (shareware) or otherwise purchase a Modula-2 compiler.  I am not sure about you, but I learn best woring hands-on.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!273!101!Peter.M..Perchansky
Internet: Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Armando.Ortiz@p0.f601.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Armando Ortiz) (06/13/90)

Heck i'm going to give it a try, i have all summer, i've been wanting to
learn how to program in a good recommended language anyhow, well i know
just the place to get books on this, anyone have any source codes in
modula-2 so i can get the idea of what it's structure will be like for the
mean time?  thanks Peter for a hand..

--

RESLERD%UL.IE@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Dan Resler) (06/13/90)

>    Pat Terry (who is on this echo regularly) also has an excellent book
>        (though I am embarassed for forgetting the name).

"An Introduction to Programming with Modula-2" by P.D. Terry
Addison-Wesley, 1987
ISBN 0-201-17438-3

Dan Resler

Dept. of Electronics & Computer Engineering,
University of Limerick,
Ireland

email: RESLERD@UL.IE
voice: 061-333644 x2173
FAX  : 061-330316

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (06/14/90)

In <5383.2673196C@puddle.fidonet.org>, Armando Ortiz writes:

>So where would i start if i wanted to learn?, i'm rather ambitious to
>see what it is like, is there a good book on this Modula-2, if you have
>any names please do so and reply, thanks...
>                        --- Armando

I learned Modula-2 from:

A Guide to Modula-2
Kaare Christian
Springer-Verlag
ISBN 0-387-96242-5
ISBN 3-540-96242-5

I don't know why there are two ISBN's. This was copyrighted in 1986, and
is based on Wirth's 3rd edition description of the language.

I learned from it easily, and enjoy using it as a reference. One of the
author's quirks is that he typeset it and did the illustrations himself.
Looks nice enough, though. I like the train-track syntax diagrams he
includes. The book as a whole makes the features and use of Modula-2
clear and fun.

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON
                        |             --Louise Kohl     | AO: LGunderson

Patrick.Verkaik@p10.f124.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Patrick Verkaik) (09/05/90)

Can anybody tell me if and where I can get a good Public Domain/Shareware/... Modula-2 Compiler? Preferably in Holland (assuming this is an int. area, I can't really tell from my XRS programme). If there is no such thing, which compiler is the best/cheapest to buy?

PDV

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!124.10!Patrick.Verkaik
Internet: Patrick.Verkaik@p10.f124.n512.z2.fidonet.org

2hmadotage@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/01/90)

In article <1451.26EBE4C5@puddle.fidonet.org>, Patrick.Verkaik@p10.f124.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Patrick Verkaik) writes:
> Can anybody tell me if and where I can get a good Public Domain/Shareware/... Modula-2 Compiler? Preferably in Holland (assuming this is an int. area, I can't really tell from my XRS programme). If there is no such thing, which compiler is the best/chea
pest to buy?

> PDV
>
> --
> uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!124.10!Patrick.Verkaik
> Internet: Patrick.Verkaik@p10.f124.n512.z2.fidonet.org

Patrick-

What kind of computer and other equipment are you going to run it on?

Run.d

Patrick.Verkaik@p99.f39.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Patrick Verkaik) (10/06/90)

In a message to All <02 Oct 90 10:51:00> 2hmadotage wrote:

 2h> Patrick-

 2h> What kind of computer and other equipment are you going to run it on?

Thanks for replying, but I've already found one (FST)

PDV

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!39.99!Patrick.Verkaik
Internet: Patrick.Verkaik@p99.f39.n512.z2.fidonet.org