[comp.lang.modula2] > Modula-2 Compiler for Unix

oscar@eismond.in-berlin.de (Carsten Tschach) (10/14/90)

martynj@logitek.co.uk (Martyn Jackson) writes:

>I am after a little bit of help, I have just started a BSC/Hons in Applied
>Computing. the part of which includes programming in modula-2. What I require
>is any information/details on a Public Domain or Shareware compiler to run under
>Sco Unix ver 5.3 or Unix 5.3.

There is a public domain 'modula-2 -> C' compiler from DEC. It does not
support SCO Unix, it only support AIX 386, Sun etc.
I think you need a little bit of work to adjust it to your system.
It's available via anonymous ftp from '131.188.1.48'

--
     "Suddenly there comes a blinding flash....and then comes OSCAR !"

 INTERNET: tschach@kristall.chemie.fu-berlin.dbp.de
     UUCP: oscar@eismond.uucp    ...!unido!tmpmbx!einoed!eismond!oscar

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (10/15/90)

In article <1ZCKJPP@eismond.in-berlin.de> oscar@eismond.in-berlin.de (Carsten Tschach) writes:

>   There is a public domain 'modula-2 -> C' compiler from DEC. It does not
>   support SCO Unix, it only support AIX 386, Sun etc.
>   I think you need a little bit of work to adjust it to your system.
>   It's available via anonymous ftp from '131.188.1.48'

The DEC WRL Modula-2 compiler compiles to native VAX or MIPS (for the
DEC MIPS machines) code; it does not compile to C. The DEC SRC
Modula-3 compiler compiles to C (and, of course, supports the VAX and DEC
MIPS hardware).  The distribution includes contributed code for other
processes as well (though I don't think there's a 386 version now.)

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.