[comp.lang.modula2] PIM2 4th edition support

wolniewi@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Wolniewicz) (10/18/90)

  Does anyone know what edition of PIM2 is supported by the various IBM PC
compilers?  I have FST, which I believe supports 3rd edition (but I may
just have an old version).  Do any of them support PIM2 4th edition?  If they
do, and they have extensions (e.g. JPI), can the compiler generate warnings
for code that does not follow PIM2?

  Also, does anyone know of a compiler which will flag at least a warning
for the rule at the end of chapter 19 of PIM2, where Prof. Wirth writes:

  "No assignments to variables occuring in the with clause should be made
   within the statement sequence, except of course to the fields of the
   designated record."

Just curious.

 .    .    ______      Laboratory for Atmpospheric and Space Physics
 |   / \  (__  ._)     University of Colorado, Boulder
 |__/   \____) |       Richard Wolniewicz (wolniewi@tramp.colorado.edu)
                       Disclaimer: Only the opinions of a grad student (me)

Pat.Terry@p101.f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org (Pat Terry) (10/23/90)

In Message-ID: <28291@boulder.Colorado.EDU> Richard Wolniewicz asks

 >  Does anyone know what edition of PIM2 is supported by the various IBM PC
 >compilers?

Nearly all support as close to 3rd edition as they understand, I think, except
that JPI has some radical extensions (evem in its 1.17 release)

 >I have FST, which I believe supports 3rd edition

version 2b is the latest I know, and it's a pretty good Edition 3.  It has
a few extensions (LONG/SHORT and FLAT/PTR conversions, and from SYSTEM you can
import ASSEMBLER that allows you then to do in-place 8086 assembler mnemonics.

 >If they have extensions (e.g. JPI), can the compiler generate
 >warnings for code that does not follow PIM2?

Not in JPI's case.

 >  Also, does anyone know of a compiler which will flag at least a warning
 >for the rule at the end of chapter 19 of PIM2, where Prof. Wirth writes:

 >  "No assignments to variables occuring in the with clause should be made
 >   within the statement sequence, except of course to the fields of the
 >   designated record."

No

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!5!494!4.101!Pat.Terry
Internet: Pat.Terry@p101.f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org

Jon.Guthrie@p15.f20.n226.z1.fidonet.org (Jon Guthrie) (10/24/90)

 >   Does anyone know what edition of PIM2 is supported by the various IBM
 > PC compilers?  I have FST, which I believe supports 3rd edition (but I may
 > just have an old version).  Do any of them support PIM2 4th edition?

Unless N. Wirth released a Corrected 4th edition (like he did with the 3rd
edition) I seriously hope not.  There were (are?) massive errors in PIM4.

FST supports the PIM3C, as you suspect.

(Oh, check your signature line.  'Atmpospheric' is usually spelled with only
one 'p'.)

...You trust them with your fortunes, let them guard your lives

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!226!20.15!Jon.Guthrie
Internet: Jon.Guthrie@p15.f20.n226.z1.fidonet.org