[comp.lang.modula2] Is it a fact that there is no Modula2 for UNIX on 386 machines?

nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) (11/01/90)

Hello Modula2 people,

I have a program that runs under DOS JPI compiler and I will like to
port it under Unix on a 386 PC machine. Is it a fact that there is
no Modula2 compiler for 386 PC under any Unix? :-(

I realy do not want to code in C.

Regards

Nicolas Chrissakis              Office: +30 81 221171, 229302,229368,229346
                                Fax   : +30 81 229343, 229342
Systems Analyst                 Telex : 262389 CCI GR
Foundation of Research          E-mail: nicolas@csi.forth.gr  -or-
and Technology - Hellas         ______  NICOLAS @ ARIADNE | ariadne!nicolas
Institute of Computer Science   P.O.Box 1385, Heraklio, Crete Greece 711 10
_____________________________   ___________________________________________

pf@artcom0.north.de (Peter Funk) (11/02/90)

In <1515@ariadne.csi.forth.GR> nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:

mc> Hello Modula2 people,

mc> I have a program that runs under DOS JPI compiler and I will like to
mc> port it under Unix on a 386 PC machine. Is it a fact that there is
mc> no Modula2 compiler for 386 PC under any Unix? :-(

mc> I realy do not want to code in C.
Agreed.

I know at least two products :

1. The well known Logitech Compiler has been ported to Xenix in its
   Version 2.0 of 1987.  We buyed a preliminary Version called
   Modula-2/X 0.5 from Logitech in early 1988 and haved used it very
   heavily since then in everay day work on a SCO Xenix 386
   and have discovered only very few bugs.
     But as far as I know Logitech has thrown Support of Xenix in
   favour of OS/2 :-(.  We were not able to get any support or an update
   from them.  The generated code is relatively slow : 8086-Code with
   the awful 64kB-limitation on data segments is your only choice.
   Nevertheless the code seems to be correct (A Statement, which does
   not apply to the Microsoft-C-Compiler on Xenix :-().
     I had a hard time to get the wonderful Logitech-PMD running
   with 80386-core images:  I wrote a small utility program, which converts
   the core-Header containing the local descriptor table into the
   format of a 80286 kernel-user structure in order to get the
   PMD running with it.
       Excuse: I've n't the address handy at the moment.

2. Oregon Software sells also a Modula-2 Compiler for Xenix 386,
   which is able to generate real 80386-code.  We buyed this compiler
   a while ago but have not used in production here.  Someone here
   has tried to install it a few months ago.  But he ran into the
   problem, that the compiler reports 'version conflicts' between
   modules where there is no real version conflict. (Since we use
   an automatic Makefile-generator an error in compilation sequence
   was unlikely).  I don't know, whether this is a serious
   problem of this compiler, since we had no time yet to track the
   problem down into bug-reportable-form.
     There is no PMD, also Oregon offers a run time debugger called
   'odb' coming with the compiler.  Since we absolutely need a way
   to analyse 'core'-dumps of programs crashed at one of our
   customers sites, this is one of the reasons not to convert from
   Logitech to Oregon at the Moment.
     I don't know whether our version 1.0C is the latest
   version of this compiler.  You may want to contact them :
       Oregon Software, Inc.
       6915 S.W. Macadam Avenue, Suite 200
       Portland, Oregon 97219
       Phone: 001-503-245-2202 Fax: 001-503-245-8449

If there are other people out there using Modula-2 on 386 unices,
I would like to here about your experiences.
--
Peter Funk \\ ArtCom GmbH, Schwachhauser Heerstr. 78, D-2800 Bremen 1
Work at home: Oldenburger Str.86, D-2875 Ganderkesee 1 /+49 4222 6018 (8am-6pm)
>> PLEASE Don't send BIG mails (oversea) ! I've to pay for it : $0.3/kB
   Don't use the bang path of this news article for mails (They will bounce).
   Only the address 'pf@artcom0.north.de' will work. Thank You ! <<

Ben.Stuyts@p6.f202.n281.z2.fidonet.org (Ben Stuyts) (11/06/90)

In a message of <01 Nov 90 20:14:33>, Nicolas Chrissakis (1:105/42.0) writes:

 NC> I have a program that runs under DOS JPI compiler and I will like to
 NC> port it under Unix on a 386 PC machine. Is it a fact that there is
 NC> no Modula2 compiler for 386 PC under any Unix? :-(

Try Rowley Associates in England. They have a whole slew of cross and
native M2 compilers, and quite good too. I think they have compilers for
68K, 88K, Mips, Transputers and 80386, running on all kinds of platforms.

Here's their address:

Rowley Associates
32 Rowley
Cam
Dursley Glos. GL11 5NT
UK
Phone: 0453-547916
Fax:   0453-544068

Best regards,
Ben

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!281!202.6!Ben.Stuyts
Internet: Ben.Stuyts@p6.f202.n281.z2.fidonet.org