[comp.lang.modula2] Modula

marti@inf.ethz.ch (Robert Marti) (04/09/90)

In article <4146@ethz.UUCP>, mrys@ethz.UUCP (Michael Rys) writes:
> 3. The history of M2 (as far as I remember):
>    After visiting PARC Xerox and playing with Mesa, Wirth came back to
>    the ETH and designed Modula a true system programming language. This
>    language was revised to a full programming language called Modula-2
>    in the late seventies (around 1977/8), [...]

Almost.  Modula was designed (and probably implemented) before Niklaus
Wirth went to Xerox PARC.  After he returned, he designed Modula-2
which indeed inherited some concepts from Mesa, most notably the
separation of modules into a definition and an implementation part.

--
Robert Marti                        Phone:    +41 1 254 72 60
Institut fur Informationssysteme

JAMES.BAND@f12.n491.z5.fidonet.org (JAMES BAND) (07/10/90)

A public domain package would be nice, but I'm willing to buy a package
maybe ( with manuals). If someone can convince me that its worth looking
into. I have heard that its similar to Pascal, and I don't like pascal
at all. Pascal has its limitations. I don't realy like C either. A nice
assembler would be nice. I need something that is expandable and easy to
learn. And I need all the help and documentation I can get ! (If
possible). Is anyone willing to help ?
ZJames
James

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!5!491!12!JAMES.BAND
Internet: JAMES.BAND@f12.n491.z5.fidonet.org

Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Peter M. Perchansky) (07/13/90)

Hello James:

    FST2.xx is a good shareware Modula-2 compiler.  Stony Brook and JPI also have good commercial Modula-2 compilers.

    Modula-2 is similar to Pascal in terms of high structure and readability.

    Modula-2 is as powerful as C, yet far easer to learn (only 40 reserved words).

    You can get help learning in this conference.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!273!101!Peter.M..Perchansky
Internet: Peter.M..Perchansky@f101.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Robert.Geeslin@f403.n170.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Geeslin) (11/16/90)

Hi, All -
        Are you aware of the USUS group? It started with the USCD
p-System and has gradually become _THE_ Pascal/Modula group (in the
not-to-humble opinion of some)... The contact point is P.O. Box
1148, LaJolla, CA 92038
        or
Felix Bearden        74076,1715
Harry Baya           76702,512
Tom Cattrall         72767,622
                (Compuserve #'s)
Hope you'll look into it!

Cordially,
Robert Geeslin,
Publisher

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!170!403!Robert.Geeslin
Internet: Robert.Geeslin@f403.n170.z1.fidonet.org

Akbar@p0.f17.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Akbar) (11/17/90)

Robert, could you provide us with a little more info about your club?
 Namely, membership dues, benefits, etc.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!382!17.0!Akbar
Internet: Akbar@p0.f17.n382.z1.fidonet.org

Ben.Stuyts@p6.f202.n281.z2.fidonet.org (Ben Stuyts) (11/20/90)

In a message of <15 Nov 90 18:52:00>, Robert Geeslin (1:170/403) writes:

 RG> Hi, All -

Hi Robert,

 RG>         Are you aware of the USUS group? It started with the USCD p-
 RG> System and has gradually become _THE_ Pascal/Modula group (in the

Could you please tell us a little more about what this group does?

Best regards,
Ben

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!281!202.6!Ben.Stuyts
Internet: Ben.Stuyts@p6.f202.n281.z2.fidonet.org

Kaare.Rasmussen@f15.n231.z2.fidonet.org (Kaare Rasmussen) (11/23/90)

Hej Robert

 RG> Are you aware of the USUS group? It started with the USCD

I wasn't. What do they do? Are they publishing a newsletter, running a
BBS, or...?

 RG> not-to-humble opinion of some)... The contact point is P.O. Box
 RG> 1148, LaJolla, CA 92038
 RG> or
 RG> Felix Bearden        74076,1715
 RG> Harry Baya           76702,512
 RG> Tom Cattrall         72767,622

- and what about Europe?

Hilsen Kaare

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!231!15!Kaare.Rasmussen
Internet: Kaare.Rasmussen@f15.n231.z2.fidonet.org