[comp.lang.modula2] Modula-3

pr@cl.cam.ac.uk (Peter Robinson) (10/04/88)

Modula-3 is a reworking of Modula-2+ undertaken by Olivetti's Software
Technology Research Laboratory and DEC's Systems Research Center in Palo
Alto, with the approval of Profesor Wirth.  It includes provisions for
signalling and handling of exceptions, controlling concurrency and
providing a type-safe discipline for managing storage, as well as tidying
up the syntax.  It therefore provides an industrial strength language for
systems programming (enough of Mesa to be useful but not so much as to
become Ada, if you see what I mean).

- Peter Robinson.

claudio@forty2.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (10/08/88)

In article <349@scaup.cl.cam.ac.uk> pr@cl.cam.ac.uk (Peter Robinson) writes:
>Modula-3 is a reworking of Modula-2+ undertaken by Olivetti's Software ...

Where can I find a description of Modula-3 ?

				claudio

UUCP: claudio@forty2.uucp		BITNET: K538912@CZHRZU1A
Mail: Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster

johnh@wheaton.UUCP (John Doc Hayward) (10/10/88)

In article <349@scaup.cl.cam.ac.uk> pr@cl.cam.ac.uk (Peter Robinson) writes:
>Modula-3 is a reworking of Modula-2+ undertaken by Olivetti's Software
>Technology Research Laboratory and DEC's Systems Research Center in Palo
>Alto, with the approval of Profesor Wirth.  It includes provisions for
>signalling and handling of exceptions, controlling concurrency and
>providing a type-safe discipline for managing storage, as well as tidying
>up the syntax.
>- Peter Robinson.

Oberon provides for Type extension which facilitate managing storage as well
as making object oriented programming easier.  How does Modula-3 relate to
Oberon?  Which came first?  Is Modula-3 available to educational organizations?

Thanks in advance.

UUCP: (obdient spl1)!wheaton!johnh           telephone: (312) 260-3871 (office)
Mail: John Hayward Math/Computer Science Dept. Wheaton College Wheaton Il 60187
       Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8b

fl@fred.tools.uucp (Frank Lancaster) (07/12/90)

With some minor changes I have ported the DEC Modula 3 compiler
to a Sun 3, but there are still some problems with threads.
Is anyone also working on this?

Frank Lancaster, fl@tools.uucp

awol@infopls.UUCP (Al Oomens) (11/11/90)

I have read in the recent BYTE magazine that the source to Modula-3 is
available. Being new to Usenet, and unix in general, I would appreciate
any help in locating these files. How is source code distributed on
Usenet? As text files, or in some type of archive? Thanks for any help!

MARC.NEWMAN@f816.n106.z1.fidonet.org (MARC NEWMAN) (11/29/90)

Randy, I would love to carry the Modula-3 source on my board, The Black
Box, down here in Houston.  I am 1:106/601, and it is a
HST/V32/V42/V42bis.

I am currently involved in a large Modula-2 project, and would love to
have a compiler with source!

Marc Newman
---MSBBS V0.02

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!106!816!MARC.NEWMAN
Internet: MARC.NEWMAN@f816.n106.z1.fidonet.org