[comp.lang.modula2] Oberon

db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) (03/28/90)

Does anyone know where I can obtain information about the language Oberon?
Specifically, I'm looking for a reference manual and a description
of the language (EBNF or whatever).

Thanks in advance,
Dan

preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.162059.15501@tc.fluke.COM> db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can obtain information about the language Oberon?

Check

	From Modula to Oberon
	Wirth
	Software -- Practice and Experience
	July 1988

and

	The Programming Language Oberon
	Wirth
	Software -- Practice and Experience
	July 1988

One's the intro, the other a language spec.
Further, an explanation of the primary new idea is in

	Type Extensions
	Wirth
	Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS)
	April 1988

The language has been revised since the SP&E papers,
but I'm not sure if the revision has been published.

Finally, I'm a fan and will be glad to correspond.
--
Preston Briggs				looking for the great leap forward
preston@titan.rice.edu

reagan@hiyall.enet.dec.com (John R. Reagan) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.162059.15501@tc.fluke.COM>, db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) writes...

>Does anyone know where I can obtain information about the language Oberon?
>Specifically, I'm looking for a reference manual and a description
>of the language (EBNF or whatever).
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dan
---

I recommend:

1) N. Wirth.  From Modula-2 to Oberon.  Software, Practice and Experience
   18, 7, (July 1988), 661-670.

2) --. The Programming Language Oberon.  Software, Practice and Experience
   18, 7, (July 1988), 671-690.

3) J. Gutknecht, N. Wirth.  The Oberon System.  Software, Practice and
   Experience 19, (1989)

4) N. Wirth. Modula-2 and Object-Oriented Programming.  Paper presented
   at the First International Conference on Modula-2, Bled, Yugoslavia,
   Oct. 11-13, 1989.

John Reagan
Digital Equipment Corporation
reagan@hiyall.dec.com
---

BORCHERT@DULRUU51.BITNET (03/28/90)

Preston Briggs <titan!preston@RICE.EDU> writes:
>The language has been revised since the SP&E papers,
>but I'm not sure if the revision has been published.

Oberon was revised in September 1989. The revised Oberon report
was published as Report 111 at ETH Zuerich. It should be possible
to get a copy by writing to following address:

        Institut fuer Computersysteme
        ETH-Zentrum
        CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland

What are the revisions?

(1)     Definition and implementation parts of a module are merged.
        Items to be exported are marked explicitely.
(2)     The syntax of parameter types corresponds to the syntax
        of procedure headers.
(3)     Declarations may be in any order (e.g. const definitions may
        follow type definitions).
(4)     The apostrophe has been eliminated as string delimiter.
        I.e. use 22X instead of '"'.
(5)     The relaxed parameter compatibility of ARRAY OF BYTE has
        been restricted to variable parameters.
(6)     Like Modula-2, Oberon has now a SYSTEM module.
        Some standard functions were moved into SYSTEM (ADR + SIZE).

No doubt, the main revision is (1) and there are many discussions about
this point. Even in original Oberon a symbol file is not only the result
of a definition, but also possibly depends on the module (the implementation)
in case of private extensions of record types. This is necessary because
clients need the size of the entire record rather than the size of the public
projection.

| Andreas Borchert                   | (+49) 731-176-2520 (work)          |
| Universitaet Ulm                   | (+49) 731-25902    (home)          |
| Sektion Angew. Informationsverarb. |                                    |
| Oberer Eselsberg                   | Bitnet: borchert@dulruu51          |
| D-7900 Ulm                         | EAN:    borchert@rz.uni-ulm.dbp.de |

preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (03/29/90)

In article <INFO-M2%90032807562921@UCF1VM.BITNET> Modula2 List <INFO-M2%UCF1VM.BITNET@PSUVM.PSU.EDU> writes:

>Oberon was revised in September 1989.

>What are the revisions?
>(1)     Definition and implementation parts of a module are merged.
>        Items to be exported are marked explicitely.

>(4)     The apostrophe has been eliminated as string delimiter.
>        I.e. use 22X instead of '"'.

For people infamiliar with the discussion,
Oberon used to allow string constants to be delimited by
a matching pair of single quotes (apostrophes) or double quotes.

Why was this changed?  The restriction doesn't seem to make sense
in terms of the language definition.
Doesn't seem to be an implementation issue either.
Is it some system dependency?

>No doubt, the main revision is (1) and there are many discussions about
>this point.

Is there a possibility of the spec changing again?
It's really tedious to keep changing my (still very immature) compiler.
My opinion is that marking definitions for export is really ugly,
but it seems to work rather more cleanly than the earlier system
of having the symbol file depend on both the definition and module files.

Again for the unintiated, the new idea in Oberon is "type extension".
It's a very cool idea that effectively does away with the need
for variant records and opaque types.  Unfortunately, it has a slight
drawback in that is appears when you're trying to do seperate compilation.
Also unfortunately, I'm running out time here, and can't explain it
in 25 words or less.
--
Preston Briggs				looking for the great leap forward
preston@titan.rice.edu

db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) (03/30/90)

Many thanks to all who provided me with information about Oberon.

Dan

aubrey@rpp386.cactus.org (Aubrey McIntosh) (04/07/90)

Hmpf.  vi an I are arguing.  I've deleted the attribution twice. I'm
gonna go drink coffee, and post this as is.  Besides, it's quoted a
dozen times this morning...

>Since I wrote my original message, I have obtained copies of some Oberon

Yesterday I made the Big Trek over to where "Software, Practice and
Experience" lives, and read the introductory article (July  '88, p 661)
on Oberon.    I also broused the second article giving the formal
definition.

I (would like to / just did) request that someone volunteer to be the
keeper of the Oberon bibliography, and post it monthly with a 31 day
expiration.  (Our mailer doesn't respect that, but that's a different
alligator.)

I am going to copy the article next week, and can easily make more
than one at that time.  There are 29 pages, and a $5.00 copyright
payment.  Anyone who cannot easily obtain the article can send
me an e-mail request by Good Friday (4/13), and I will mail a velo
bound copy and copyright clearance payment upon receipt of your $10.
and Snail address.

--
Aubrey McIntosh  	"Find hungry samurai." -- The Old Man
1502 Devon Circle       comp.os.minix, comp.lang.modula2

Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org (Andreas Gutzwiller) (09/27/90)

Gibt es denn keinen Oberon_Compiler fuer den Amiga???

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!302!810.6!Andreas.Gutzwiller
Internet: Andreas.Gutzwiller@p6.f810.n302.z2.fidonet.org

ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) (11/06/90)

Hello,
some time ago someone asked for an Oberon Compiler for Amiga. I've ordered
a demo of Oberon at A.+L. AG in Switzerland. As soon as I get it, I'll put
it on the softserv in Stuttgart.

Thomas Stuempfig             |  ocac@ds0rus1i.bitnet
Pikosekunden-Labor           |  ocac@rusvm1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
3. Physikalisches Institut   |================================================
Uni Stuttgart                |  ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de

horneff@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Horneffer) (11/07/90)

ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) writes:

>some time ago someone asked for an Oberon Compiler for Amiga. I've ordered
>a demo of Oberon at A.+L. AG in Switzerland. As soon as I get it, I'll put
>it on the softserv in Stuttgart.

Oberon1.16.lzh is available for ftp on 192.35.229.12 in
pub/amiga/compilers.

It's the newest Demo-Version of Nicolas Benezan's Oberon-Compiler.
(Well, at the moment... ;-)

Martin Horneffer

horneff@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de

horneff@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Horneffer) (11/07/90)

>It's the newest Demo-Version of Nicolas Benezan's Oberon-Compiler.
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oops! That's wrong!

The Compiler was written by Friedtjof Siebert.
NB has nothing to do with it, except that he's a beta-tester...

Martin Horneffer | horneff@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.d
                 | 2:242/7.9 @ FidoNet
                 | Maus AC AC2 SU

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) (11/29/90)

Maybe this ain't the best place for it, but does anyone know of an FTP site
with information on Oberon??  Thanks...

--
Dan

lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) (11/30/90)

In article <4048@vela.acs.oakland.edu> dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:
>Maybe this ain't the best place for it, but does anyone know of an FTP site
>with information on Oberon??  Thanks...

SPARC Oberon and MacOberon can be obtained via anonymous ftp on host 129.132.101.33
. Check the readme files for more info.

--
Chuck Lins               | "Is this the kind of work you'd like to do?"
Apple Computer, Inc.     | -- Front 242