[comp.lang.modula2] Borland's Turbo Modula 2

Pat.Terry@p101.f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org (Pat Terry) (11/11/90)

 >  Has Borland ever come out with a version of its Turbo Modula-2 compiler
 >for the IBM PC?  I found it curious that they offered it for CP/M but not
 >the PC.

I am pretty sure it resurfaced as JPI TopSpeed Modula-2

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!5!494!4.101!Pat.Terry
Internet: Pat.Terry@p101.f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org

Jim.Yahnke@p19.f114.n202.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Yahnke) (11/11/90)

In a message to All <07 Nov 90 23:56:00> Darrell Pittman wrote:

 DP>  Has Borland ever come out with a
 DP> version of its Turbo Modula-2 compiler
 DP> for the IBM PC?  I found it curious
 DP> that they offered it for CP/M but not
 DP> the PC.
 DP> .
 DP>   Thanks...   Darrell

Borland canned the PC modula-2 a few years back.  The software engineers that were assigned to the project left Borland and form Jensen and Partners, Inc.

Jim

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!202!114.19!Jim.Yahnke
Internet: Jim.Yahnke@p19.f114.n202.z1.fidonet.org

Ben.Stuyts@p6.f202.n281.z2.fidonet.org (Ben Stuyts) (11/11/90)

In a message of <07 Nov 90 23:56:22>, Darrell Pittman () writes:

 DP>   Has Borland ever come out with a version of its Turbo Modula-2
 DP> compiler for the IBM PC?  I found it curious that they offered it
 DP> for CP/M but not the PC.

As far as I understand it, Turbo-Modula has become JPI/Topspeed Modula-2.
The Borland people must have thought that releasing Turbo-Modula would take
away t0o many sales of Turbo-Pascal...

Best regards,
Ben

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!281!202.6!Ben.Stuyts
Internet: Ben.Stuyts@p6.f202.n281.z2.fidonet.org

root@pain (System Administrator) (11/20/90)

In a message of <07 Nov 90 23:56:22>, Darrell Pittman () writes:

> Has Borland ever come out with a version of its Turbo Modula-2
> compiler for the IBM PC?  I found it curious that they offered it
> for CP/M but not the PC.

JPI TopSpeed Modula is what you're looking for.  Same guys from Borland
wrote.  It has a neat debugger, but I hated their lame idea about cutting
the STANDARD key words short, ie, WriteLn --> WrLn;  That defeats modularity!
    ^^^^^^^^
Anyways, I'm stuck using a "Free-Ware" copy of FST Modula-2, which I "ain't"
to proud of, but it works just fine.

Can Somebody post a list of libraries available, I've got the standard ones
with a few extras, but not any fancy, real-useful, ones.  BTW, are they free?

T.Moore@massey.ac.nz (T. Moore) (12/07/90)

> JPI TopSpeed Modula is what you're looking for.  Same guys from Borland
> wrote.  It has a neat debugger, but I hated their lame idea about cutting
> the STANDARD key words short, ie, WriteLn --> WrLn;  That defeats modularity!
>     ^^^^^^^^
I always thought that I/O was part of Wirth's _suggested_ library and not
part of the standard (if there is one). I feel that something so fundamental
should have had a higher status than that, however, I quite like these
abbreviations.

Anyway, a later suggestion of Wirth's, is to allow alias declarations and
JPI allows this. So, if you don't like the abbreviations you can always
have WriteLn as an alias for WrLn. (I always put in colour as an alias
for color, and grey for gray - otherwise my programs _never_ compile [I
hate programming in a foreign language (:-)]).

--

Terry Moore <T.Moore@massey.ac.nz>
 Department of Mathematics and Statisics,

Kroneker:  "God made the natural numbers, the rest is the work of man."
Zermelo:   "But I can construct the natural from the empty set alone."
Bystander: "Who said 'You can't get something for nothing.'?"