[comp.lang.modula2] complier

Jon.Guthrie@p15.f20.n226.z1.fidonet.org (Jon Guthrie) (12/04/90)

 > I WAS TOLD THAT THER MIGHT EXIST A PUBLIC DOMAIN MODULA-2 COMPILER...  IS
 > THIS TRUE?

Maybe.  Of course, it would help if we knew which computer and operating
system you're using.

 > IF SO WHERE MIGHT I FIND ONE?  I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY AROUND
 > WITH THE LANGUAGE AND SEE WHAT IT CAN DO...

If you're running an IBM PC under MS-DOS, then there is the Fitted Software
Tools compiler.  It isn't public domain, it's shareware.  (It's a pretty good
compiler, too.)  You should be able to find it around.  You can also get it
from the folks at Public Brand Software.  (That's what I did.)

Now, as for what the language can do, it can do most anything any other
language can do.  (Limited mostly by the programmer's imagination.)

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!226!20.15!Jon.Guthrie
Internet: Jon.Guthrie@p15.f20.n226.z1.fidonet.org

Patrick.Verkaik@p11.f39.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Patrick Verkaik) (12/05/90)

Hello John,

 > I WAS TOLD THAT THER MIGHT EXIST A PUBLIC DOMAIN MODULA-2
 > COMPILER...  IS THIS TRUE?  IF SO WHERE MIGHT I FIND ONE?

Have you ever heard of the FST-compiler? It's not PD but it is
shareware, I don't know where you can get it in the US, though...

Patrick

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!39.11!Patrick.Verkaik
Internet: Patrick.Verkaik@p11.f39.n512.z2.fidonet.org

John.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org (John Garcia) (12/05/90)

I WAS TOLD THAT THER MIGHT EXIST A PUBLIC DOMAIN MODULA-2 COMPILER...
IS THIS TRUE?  IF SO WHERE MIGHT I FIND ONE?  I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY
AROUND WITH THE LANGUAGE AND SEE WHAT IT CAN DO...  LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!397!3!John.Garcia
Internet: John.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org

John.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org (John Garcia) (12/08/90)

THANX, I AM RUNNING AN IBM CLONE 386...

--

davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) (12/09/90)

In article <1990.2759364E@puddle.fidonet.org>, John.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org (John Garcia) writes:
> I WAS TOLD THAT THER MIGHT EXIST A PUBLIC DOMAIN MODULA-2 COMPILER...
> IS THIS TRUE?  IF SO WHERE MIGHT I FIND ONE?  I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY
> AROUND WITH THE LANGUAGE AND SEE WHAT IT CAN DO...  LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

Sorry about my last post which did not contain any useful information.  I have
since found the text file which describes a pd or freely distributable
modula-2 compiler for the mac.

Some edited text follows:

MacLogimo Plus, a Modula-2 Development System for the Macintosh Plus
Release of March 1987 by Tim Myers

 (Last Updates: Compiler/Linker/Debugger: November 1986
 		Library: March 1987
		Documentation: March 1987)
Overview
========
The 5 diskettes contain a pre-release of Modula-2 for the Macintosh.  It is
already possible to create substantial programs with this version.  The
smallest system configuration is a 512K Mac with an external drive.
MacLogimo works much better with the Mac 512E or the Macintosh Plus with an
external 800K disk drive, RAM disk, or hard disk.  Use of MacLogimo Plus on
the Macintosh SE and Macintosh II has not yet been tested, but support for
these machines is anticipated.

This pre-release has several attractive features --

The Library provides access to most functions of the Toolbox (the
Macintosh ROM Software), and it is in a coherent and very usable
state.

- A working symbolic debugger is available in the package.

- The compiler and the linker are highly reliable. Several large Modula-2
programs were successfully compiled with this prerelease and are in
extensive use on the Macintosh (e.g. a Prolog Interpreter, LAN-access
programs, and MacLogimo Plus itself).

- REAL numbers are implemented, and the transcendental functions exist also.

The library also contains procedures for formatted input/output from the
keyboard, to the screen and to files.

The elementary graphics of the Macintosh ROM is easily accessible, as well
as the keyboard and the mouse.

The ToolBox Routines in the prerelease allows to use virtually all (except
some exotic) features of: Windows, Menus, Dialog-Boxes,so-called Controls,
the built-in TextEdit facility, the Resource Manager, the DeskAccessory,
the Standard File Package.  The diskettes contain several examples.

The prereleased compiler, linker and debugger themselves do not yet use the
ToolBox dialog, but the programs written with them can do it.

The organization of the distribution diskettes leaves enough disk space for
large, modularized user programs.

The material is derived from the old Modula-2 compiler from ETH Zrich,
Switzerland and is kept alive in the USA by Tim Myers in Provo, Utah.

The rest of this introduction contains
	- a disclaimer
	- a description of the diskettes
	- a sample Modula-2 edit/compile/run/debug session.

Copies should be obtained from one of the following distribution sites
rather than from a friend of a friend of a friend, etc...  This way, the
integrity of the development system can be maintained.

Authorized distribution sites:

	Tim Myers
	614 North 1150 West
	Provo, UT  84601

Send $18.50 for five 400K disks mailed in a padded envelope to your
mainland USA address.

  BYU FIDO(801) 378-2959 (modem)     download the five PackitII files
  SSI FIDO(801) 226-1605 (modem)download the five PackitII files
  Compuserve    MAUG Mac Developer's Forum	download the five PackitII files
  GEnie		Mac Round Table		download the five PackitII files

The pre-release of Modula-2 consists of 5 diskettes:  ML, CDisk, LDisk,
DDisk, and MLDoku.

END OF TEXT FILE:

Remember, this information is at least three years old.  Hopefully, since you
did not specify which computer type you used, this information will be of
help to you.

Davego-

lakeman@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Lakeman) (12/10/90)

In article <2855@polari.UUCP> davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) writes:
>In article <1990.2759364E@puddle.fidonet.org>, John.Garcia@f3.n397.z1.fidonet.org (John Garcia) writes:
>Sorry about my last post which did not contain any useful information.  I have
>since found the text file which describes a pd or freely distributable
>modula-2 compiler for the mac.
>
>Some edited text follows:
>
>MacLogimo Plus, a Modula-2 Development System for the Macintosh Plus
>Release of March 1987 by Tim Myers

Is this available via anonymous ftp anywhere?

Brian Lakeman
lakeman@plains.nodak.edu
lakeman@plains.BITNET
..!uunet!plains!lakeman

John.Garcia@f2.n397.z1.fidonet.org (John Garcia) (12/11/90)

thanx for your reply, i think i have found a good mod-2 compiler...

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!397!2!John.Garcia
Internet: John.Garcia@f2.n397.z1.fidonet.org