[comp.lang.modula2] Is there a PD Modula-2 Compiler ?

news@hiogron (News Administrator) (12/13/90)

We , a Poly Technical School, are interested in a PUBLIC-DOMAIN
version of a Modula-2 Compiler for our students.

Can someone give us an adress where we can get it, or send it to us.

The teachers of HIO Groningen, The Netherlands.

We can be reached by UUCP
 ...mcsun!hp4nl!hiogron!peter

 or with Internet

 peter@hio.gro.nl

 Thanks by me.

Patrick.Verkaik@p11.f39.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Patrick Verkaik) (12/18/90)

 > From: news@hiogron (News Administrator)
 > Date: 13 Dec 90 14:45:56 GMT
 > Newsgroups: comp.lang.modula2,comp.sources.wanted

 > We , a Poly Technical School, are interested in a PUBLIC-
 > DOMAIN
 > version of a Modula-2 Compiler for our students.

You can download the FST compiler (Shareware) at 'The Owl's Nest' (in Holland), telephone
number: 02155-12571 or 02155-26527 (if you can reach the
Fidonet, that is): mod2comp.zip mod2doc.zip mod2util.zip

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!39.11!Patrick.Verkaik
Internet: Patrick.Verkaik@p11.f39.n512.z2.fidonet.org

Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Cees van Kessel) (12/25/90)

Sure, on The Mailbox 2:512/14. I just started as point a special Modula-2 corner and placed a number of MODULA-2 sources on this BBS. The shareware Modula-2 compiler from Fitted Software Tools (M2COMP_1.ZIP and M2COMP_2.ZIP) is one of the first 20 programs I have uploaded sofar.
Let me know if they are useful for you.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!14.4465!Cees.van.Kessel
Internet: Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org

Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org (Cees van Kessel) (12/25/90)

Sure, on The Mailbox 2:512/14. I just started as point a special Modula-2 corner and placed a number of MODULA-2 sources on this BBS. The shareware Modula-2 compiler from Fitted Software Tools (M2COMP_1.ZIP and M2COMP_2.ZIP) is one of the first 20 programs I have uploaded sofar.
Let me know if they are useful for you.

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!2!512!14.4465!Cees.van.Kessel
Internet: Cees.van.Kessel@p4465.f14.n512.z2.fidonet.org

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (01/01/91)

All these compilers seem to be for dos machines.  Is there a Mac PD compiler?
I know about TML Modula which is buckware.  I am particularly interested in
ones that don't need MPW.

					jeff

rschnapp@pnet12.rfengr.com (Russell Schnapp) (01/02/91)

  There is indeed a PD Modula-2 for the Mac.  It is called MacLogimo Plus
Modula-2, and it includes interfaces to much of the Mac Toolbox.  On the flip
side, it is a little on the large side, has no support (typical for PD
products), and is a _very_ dated implementation.  The latest version (which
you can download from the modula.2 listings area on BIX (the Byte Info
eXchange), still thinks it is working with a pre-Hierarchical File System, so
it must be installed in the root folder of a disk.  Since that disk has to be
a hard disk in order to accommodate the system, it is a little inconvenient to
have to litter the root folder with so many files.
  By the way, I mention BIX only because I happen to moderate the Modula-2
conference there.  Presumably, you can also acquire MacLogimoPlus from other
sources, both commercial and noncommercial...  Good luck!
...Russ Schnapp

UUCP: ucsd!serene!pnet12!rschnapp
ARPA: crash!pnet12!rschnapp@nosc.mil
INET: rschnapp@pnet12.cts.com

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (01/05/91)

In <1991Jan01.173606.24200@rfengr.com>, rschnapp@pnet12.rfengr.com
(Russell Schnapp) writes:

>  There is indeed a PD Modula-2 for the Mac.  It is called MacLogimo Plus
>Modula-2, and it includes interfaces to much of the Mac Toolbox.  On the flip
>side, it is a little on the large side, has no support
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^
Wellll, the chap who brought MacLogimo Plus to its present state is working
on a new version, the last I talked to him. I am planning on helping him, as
well. Improvements include expansion of Toolbox coverage and improvements to
the libraries, and a much nicer working environment.

>(typical for PD
>products), and is a _very_ dated implementation.  The latest version (which
>you can download from the modula.2 listings area on BIX (the Byte Info
>eXchange), still thinks it is working with a pre-Hierarchical File System, so
>it must be installed in the root folder of a disk.  Since that disk has to be
>a hard disk in order to accommodate the system, it is a little inconvenient to
>have to litter the root folder with so many files.

While it is true that the development system wants things to look egalitarian,
that doesn't mean you have to litter the root directory of your hard disk with
4.3 zillion little files. I get by just fine with all the MacLogimo stuff in
a _PARTITION_ on my hard disk. And I should mention that although the
environment is limited to MFS in the implementation you have, you can still
write appications that deal with HFS successfully.

>  By the way, I mention BIX only because I happen to moderate the Modula-2
>conference there.  Presumably, you can also acquire MacLogimoPlus from other
>sources, both commercial and noncommercial...  Good luck!

You can also get MacLogimo Plus, which traces its roots back to ETHZ, from
Tim Myers himself, from GEnie, or from Apple via FTP. If you want the details
on where to get MacLogimo Plus, or if you would like to be advised about the
next version when it is released, Email me.

Hey Russ, see in the Modula-2 conference when I get the bucks to get started
on BIX.

>...Russ Schnapp

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON