[comp.lang.modula2] MacLogimo Plus, and Learning Modula

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (01/06/91)

In article <349ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu (Lyle D. Gunderson) writes:

>Wellll, the chap who brought MacLogimo Plus to its present state is working
>on a new version, the last I talked to him. I am planning on helping him, as
>well. Improvements include expansion of Toolbox coverage and improvements to
>the libraries, and a much nicer working environment.

Hey, this is GREAT!  I just xferred MacLogimo+ last week and was planning on
writing to Myers to ask what is happening with the system these days.  I
am quite willing to provide some suggestions and some testing time.  Is the
Project Modula address still valid?

Some things I could ask for off the top of my head:
- when using the Terminal interface, carriage returns do not cause
	the cursor to advance to the beginning of the next line.  I would
	like this to happen since this is what a real terminal does.  I
	am thinking about entering integers using ReadI(); when you
	type a number and hit return, it sends the number but there is no
	motion of the cursor like there would be on a real terminal.  This
	is also desirable from a user-feedback point-of-view; you know the
	number "took" if the cursor moves when you hit return.
- the ModEdit editor seems to get confused by nested comments, which are
	supposed to be allowed
- the compiler does not accept RETURNS in program MODULEs but it should
- one must explicitly EXPORT everything from global MODULEs; this should
	be automatically taken care of for everything declared in the
	DEFINITION MODULE
- it would be much nicer to have a standard library search path stored in the
	MacLogimo.LOD program itself rather than specifying it every time.
	If you want a nice implementation example, check out Jim Walker's
	DVI-MAC program available at sumex; there is a 'configure' menu
	item and one uses standard file dialog to specify the font folder.
	MacLogimo could do this for the SYM and LNK directories.
- the program does not repaint the Terminal screen when switched back into
	from some other program under multifinder.
- some of the standard I/O functions have names that are different than
	the ones I thought were standard.  Example - ReadInt() (standard)
	vs. ReadI() (MacLogimo+)

I should point out that I am getting all my information from Kaare Christian's
book, and it claims to adhere to Wirth's 3rd. edition report.

>You can also get MacLogimo Plus, which traces its roots back to ETHZ, from
>Tim Myers himself, from GEnie, or from Apple via FTP. If you want the details

You can also get it on nic.funet.fi in Finland; don't do this if you are in
the US and can connect to apple.com.

Speaking of Christian's book, I am working thru it and teaching myself the
language.  If anyone is interested in corresponding on this please contact
me.  I am especially interested in comparing solutions to the exercises
since I don't have the solutions and I am not in some class where the
answers would be given.  It seems like a good book.

					Jeff