[comp.lang.modula2] MOCKA

mfeldman@GWUSUN.GWU.EDU (Mike Feldman) (02/15/90)

We are using MOCKA on our Sun, and wse are happy with it. For the relatively
simple projects we've used it for, it's been robust and (pretty) user-
friendly. They have a nice "make" facility in it, too.
Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
+1-202-994-5253
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

gt2679b@PRISM.GATECH.EDU ("YI,BYUNGHO") (02/16/90)

Please, send me information on MOCKA (how to get etc.).
Thank you !!
--
YI,BYUNGHO
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt2679b

rmf@LLL-WINKEN.LLNL.GOV (Rob Finley) (02/19/90)

In article <9002142127.AA05924@mail-spaniel.gwu.edu> you write:
>We are using MOCKA on our Sun, and wse are happy with it. For the relatively
>simple projects we've used it for, it's been robust and (pretty) user-
>friendly. They have a nice "make" facility in it, too.

I am a modula 2 fan and am looking for a Public Domain compiler with source
that can be wrapped up with GCC on our Sun3/Sun4 network and on my
homemade NS32532.  I neglected to write down which tape from the Sun
Users Group had such a compiler but am now looking for it rather
earnestly.

Any info you could send my way would be appreciated!

-----

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

rlc@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Robert L. Chase) (03/02/90)

Please, anyone, repost the aricle (1834?) on MOCKA distribution - how
to ge it and versions etc. I need the one for VMS.  Thanks

----

Robert L. Chase                    INTERNET:  rlc@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu
Director of Academic Computing
Computer Center
Sweet Briar College                UUCP:      ...!mcnc!uvacs!rlc
PO BOX AK                                     ...!cbosgd!uvacs!rlc
Sweet Briar, VA 24595
  (804) 381-6232

mfeldman@GWUSUN.GWU.EDU (Mike Feldman) (03/04/90)

We have been using the Karlsruhe system described in this forwarded
note. We haven't done anything really esoteric to test the "unsupported"
nature of the system; everything we've done in straightforward class
projects has been fine. It's fast, it has a decent M2 "shell" including
editor integration, and it is (or at least was) free. My only complaint
about it is the same one I have about all M2 systems: I am used to Ada
in which compiler-created files (sym and unbound obj files, for example)
are shoved into a separate library or at least a separate subdirectory
from the source. I don't know if Karlsruhe can do this, but it's not
obvious how. I like to get non-user-created files "out of traffic" so
they don't clutter the source directory. But otherwise we like the
system. Good luck.

Michael B. Feldman, Professor
Dept. of Elect. Engrg. and Comp. Sci
The George Washington University
Washington, DC  20052  U.S.A.
+1-202-994-5253
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu
--------------- cut here for M2 ordering info -----------------
Date:     Mon, 15 Aug 88   15:40 CET
To:       MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET
From:     SCHROEER@KARLSRUHE.GMD.DBP.DE
Subject:  MOCKA
Comments:    Changed X430-Header:
 TO:         <MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET>
 FROM:       "F.W. Schroeer"<SCHROEER@KARLSRUHE.GMD.DBP.DE>
 MESSAGE ID: <SCHROEER@KARLSRUHE.GMD.DBP.DE>;23
 BODY TYPE:          IA5TEXT

Thank you for your interest in our Modula-2 system.

Here are some remarks on it:

The system runs on Sun-3 workstations, translating Modula-2 as described
in the 3rd edition of Wirth's book. It's a multipass compiler, forward-
declarations are not necessary. The language is extended by 'foreign modules'
that allow assembly and C procedures to be called from Modula-2.

The compiler is very fast and produces good object code.
A beta-test release was used successfully at several German universities.

The system provides an interactive shell in which you can request a 'goal',
e.g. 'compose program with main module M'. You never have to invoke the
compiler or linker directly, you just say which module you want to edit --
after editing hitting the return key triggers the necessary
(re-) compilations and linking.  Recompilations are based on a dependency
graph that is derived directly from the sources (and updated after each
command) - not from a makefile.  Errors can be corrected in the listing
file produced by the compiler.

A menu-driven post mortem debugger is included.

The system was developed at the GMD research lab Karlsruhe (by F.W.Schroeer,
D.Schwarz-Hertzner, F.Engelmann).  The development was funded by the
German Ministry of Research and Technology as part of the SUPRENUM project.
GMD, Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH, is a German
national research center for computer science.  The research lab Karlsruhe
is working on specification and programming languages and their implementation.

Distribution and maintainance of the system was delegated to a
German company.  This should be contacted if a supported version
is required:

   2i Industrial Informatics GmbH
   Haierweg 20e
   D-7800 Freiburg i.Br.

For non-profit organizations an unsupported release is available directly
from GMD Karlsruhe.
We plan a handling charge of 500 DM (German Marks), but currently the system
can still be obtained for free:
If you want to use it sign the order form below and send it
with an empty streamer cartridge (1/4" tape) to the following
address:

   F.W. Schroeer
   GMD Forschungsstelle an der Universitaet Karlsruhe
   Haid-und-Neu-Str. 7
   D-7500 Karlsruhe 1

Then I will send you a copy.

Kind regards

F.W. Schroeer

   ORDER FORM FOR THE GMD MODULA SYSTEM

   Institute: ...............................................................

   Address: .................................................................

   (subsequently called Institute)

   herewith orders a copy of the GMD MODULA SYSTEM according to the following
   conditions.

   1. System
   The system comprises
   (1) A binary object program of MOCKA, a compiler, module-binder and
       command shell with integrated make-facility.
   (2) A binary object program of MDB, a menu-driven post mortem debugger.
   (3) A collection of library modules in source form for input/output,
       storage management, mathematical functions.
   (4) Manual pages and installation notes.
   The compiler accepts the language Modula-2 as defined in: N. Wirth,
   Programming in Modula-2, 3rd edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.
   It runs on and generates code for Sun-3 workstations
   (MC68020, MC68881 floating point coprocessor, Sun UNIX 4.2 Rel. 3.4)

   2. Price
   The system is free for non-commercial usage.
   [Subject to change in the near future.]

   3. Distribution
   The system is distributed on a streamer cartridge (1/4" tape) provided
   by Institute.

   4. License
   Institute has the right to use the system for its employees and students
   on its own computers. It has no right to sell or give the system to third
   parties.
   Institute has the right to use the system for any of its requirements in
   research and education but not for direct commercial advantage.
   GMD Karlsruhe retains the ownership and copyright for software and
   documentation.
   Institute obtains the right to use and distribute the library modules as
   part of its Modula-2 programs.

   5. Maintainance
   GMD has no obligation to maintain the system, nor to provide
   customer support and service.
   GMD does not assume any responsibility for the use and reliability
   of the system.

   Date: .......... Signature: ..............................................

fiffi@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Carsten Hoehne) (02/01/91)

Does anybody know the modula compiler MOCKA from Karlsruhe.

????????
--
Carsten Hoehne    |  e-mail: fiffi@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Potsdamer Str.61  |          fiffi@tubopal.UUCP

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (02/05/91)

fiffi@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Carsten Hoehne) writes:

>Does anybody know the modula compiler MOCKA from Karlsruhe.

Actually we in Oldenburg use that compiler. What do you want to know?
(BirLix has been written with mocka, but I do not like it. - Except that
it uses the ld...)
--

| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |