[comp.lang.modula2] Oberon For Macintosh

Brion.Lienhart@p0.f700.n213.z1.fidonet.org (Brion Lienhart) (03/15/91)

I read the article on Oberon it the April issue of Byte. It looks pretty
interesting, so I thought I would try to scrounge up a copy of the Macintosh
version. Does anyone know an Internet site that accepts anonymous FTP, or a
Fidonet board that would allow a File Request?

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!213!700.0!Brion.Lienhart
Internet: Brion.Lienhart@p0.f700.n213.z1.fidonet.org

mfranz@bernina.ethz.ch (Michael Franz) (03/18/91)

The primary distribution site for the official ETH implementation of
Oberon for the Macintosh is neptune@inf.ethz.ch  (129.132.101.33).
It is also available from apple.com, BIX and various other sources, but
only the ETH site is guaranteed to be up-to-date.

On another issue:

> It is somewhat regrettable that Niklaus Wirth left the issue of libraries so
> open-ended that programmers cannot rely upon a minimal set of libraries from
> implementation to implementation.

I think we pretty well got that message.  In Oberon, the standard set of
libraries is definite and present in every implementation.  These
interfaces are general enough to offer virtually anything that one could
want from an OS, but through a minimal set of orthogonal procedures.
Martin Reiser's book "The Oberon System" is the definite specification
of this interface (Addison Wesley, February 1991).

Michael Franz
Computersysteme, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Please use "franz@inf.ethz.ch" when sending mail to me.

lins@Apple.COM (Chuck Lins) (03/19/91)

In article <2607.27E24374@puddle.fidonet.org> Brion.Lienhart@p0.f700.n213.z1.fidonet.org (Brion Lienhart) writes:
>I read the article on Oberon it the April issue of Byte. It looks pretty
>interesting, so I thought I would try to scrounge up a copy of the Macintosh
>version. Does anyone know an Internet site that accepts anonymous FTP, or a
>Fidonet board that would allow a File Request?

Try ftp'ing from neptune.inf.ethz.ch (129.132.101.33).

--
Chuck Lins               | "Is this the kind of work you'd like to do?"
Apple Computer, Inc.     | -- Front 242

Brion.Lienhart@p0.f700.n213.z1.fidonet.org (Brion Lienhart) (03/21/91)

Never mind. I found a copy of macOberon 2 on apple and forwarded it to
Info-Mac at Stanford. If any one on FidoNet wants it, I could make it
available for FREQ, but the file is just over 1 MB, and I've only got a 2400
bps modem.