[comp.lang.modula2] Modula 2 software and text advice needed

weiss@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Steve Weiss) (03/22/91)

I'm scheduled to teach our second level programming course next fall
and would like to use Modula 2 (we had been using Pascal, then switched
to Turing a year ago).  Do you have any recommendations on:

     1. Good, student oriented software that runs on the Mac
     2. A decent text.

Thanks

Steve Weiss

RESLERD%UL.IE@UCF1VM.CC.UCF.EDU (Dan Resler) (03/22/91)

>I'm scheduled to teach our second level programming course next fall
>and would like to use Modula 2 (we had been using Pascal, then switched
>to Turing a year ago).  Do you have any recommendations on:
>
>     1. Good, student oriented software that runs on the Mac
>     2. A decent text.

It might just be me, but I've had considerable problems finding a M2 text I'm
happy with for the `traditional' data structures course. I've just received
one, however, that looks excellent and I'm planning on using it next year:

`Abstract Data Types in Modula-2' by R. Harrison (John Wiley, 1989)

The title indicates it's emphasis on ADTs. Many of the ADTs developed in
the book have a strong functional programming flavour which suits me but
isn't probably for everyone.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used the book yet ... with textbooks, first love
often dies in the trenches of the classroom.

Dan Resler

Dept. of Electronics & Computer Engineering,
University of Limerick,
Ireland

email: RESLERD@UL.IE
voice: 061-333644 x2173
FAX  : 061-330316

Brion.Lienhart@p0.f700.n213.z1.fidonet.org (Brion Lienhart) (03/26/91)

In a message of <Mar 23 23:40>, Steve Weiss (1:105/42) writes:

 -SW>I'm scheduled to teach our second level programming course next fall
 -SW>and would like to use Modula 2 (we had been using Pascal, then
 -SW>switched
 -SW>to Turing a year ago).  Do you have any recommendations on:
 -SW>
 -SW>     1. Good, student oriented software that runs on the Mac
 -SW>     2. A decent text.

I'm not sure about how student oriented it is, but I've been using Metroworks
Modula-2 for MPW with good results. They make an MPW version ($150) and a
Stand-Alone version ($175?). If you find a decent text, let me know too.

Brion Lienhart 1:213/700@fidonet
Internet:       brionl@nv-ngnet.army.mil

--
uucp: uunet!m2xenix!puddle!213!700.0!Brion.Lienhart
Internet: Brion.Lienhart@p0.f700.n213.z1.fidonet.org